Can Pods Suffer Osmotic Shock?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish always come in water a good 10 ppt lower than my tank water and since the fish I'll be getting tomorrow is a pod eater who will inhabit his own small tank I'm concerned the pods might die when I transfer the rock to the new tank from my old one (i generally match the QT tank to that of the fish's bag water to prevent osmotic shock but since he's gonna be the only inhabitant I'll be introducing the pods at the same time since i don't want him to starve)...will this sudden salinity difference kill the pods?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10ppt is quite a difference, but the pods should generally be fine.
Maybe I'll put the fish in the tank and then slowly raise the salinity over a couple hours or so...that way it won't be quite as much of a shock

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll put the fish in the tank and then slowly raise the salinity over a couple hours or so...that way it won't be quite as much of a shock
Raising salinity over couple of hours is not a good idea. You can drop salinity faster, but raising it is better done over longer period of time.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising salinity over couple of hours is not a good idea. You can drop salinity faster, but raising it is better done over longer period of time.
I wasn't planning on raising it the full 10 ppt, just 5 ppt or so to make it easier on the pods to adapt to the sudden rise in salinity

Back