Can raising the salinity too fast kill fish and leave the coral fine?

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newish tank that has been fully cycled for about 6 weeks. I have been checking the salinity with a Refractometer and using di water to calibrate. Recently got some actual calibration fluid and was way off. Like 1.021. I stopped topping off and it raised to 1.023-4 in a day. Fish all died. I’m assuming this was the problem. Coral is thriving. Just wanna double check before I add new fish. Thanks.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you recently add in a fish? it could be some disease. also could there have been an ammonia spike? there are a lot of variables. i mean maybe one or two super sensitive fish might die from that, but i dont think so

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting issues with disease or oxygen (oxygen especially if they died at night) since I can't imagine that salinity change to do anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flatlander93

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been dealing with a bacterial bloom that has lasted a couple weeks. Could that have been the culprit? It was a pair of clownfish and a watchman goby. Nitrate was at around 10. Temp around 79.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flatlander93

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, it was the morning I went to get my UV sterile which has since made the tank perfectly clear. Frustrating.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay in the fish forum directly said this level of salinity jump can kill/harm fish, I wouldn't expect to get that answer outside the fish-specific forum as nearly all reefers here in the general forum don't use any type of salinity acclimation, owing to this thread, so they're not likely to believe your salt jump could harm:

I don't believe anything but the salinity jump killed the fish. curing a bloom isn't lethal, the cause and effect was directly on the same day to a known cause/killer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flatlander93

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it’s at least plausible that either the salinity or the oxygen was probably the culprit. I just don’t want the tank to sit too long without fish.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back