Can some explain this algae phase ? New tank

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started my first tank April 10th. I had my diatom bloom and those have gone away now my rock is coated in green? This doesn’t look like the cycling video I watched they had more hair algae. I don’t have any hair algae just this bright green all over. Can someone explain what this is and when should it go away ?

594E7161-5D11-4D33-A0AE-7342E42D461A.jpeg

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank April 10th. I had my diatom bloom and those have gone away now my rock is coated in green? This doesn’t look like the cycling video I watched they had more hair algae. I don’t have any hair algae just this bright green all over. Can someone explain what this is and when should it go away ?

I have a ten gallon QT tank i dont have a skimmer only a hang on back filter and once i stoped doing as many water changes along with adding bacteria via dr tims refresh it has helped in this tank (looked exactly the same as yours) the rocks still green but not nearly as bad as i am starting to see some white on the rocks again

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a ten gallon QT tank i dont have a skimmer only a hang on back filter and once i stoped doing as many water changes along with adding bacteria via dr tims refresh it has helped in this tank (looked exactly the same as yours) the rocks still green but not nearly as bad as i am starting to see some white on the rocks again
So wait turn off my skimmer and lay back on water changes will get rid of the algae? I have added a bottle of dr Tim’s during the cycle phase. Can you explain more please ?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a tang gang

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a tang gang
No but I want one. I only have a 20 gallon and want to wait for bigger until I get a more permanent place. My nitrates are zero I’m so confused? I just don’t want it to get worse. Is this not normal part of cycling ?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but I want one. I only have a 20 gallon and want to wait for bigger until I get a more permanent place. My nitrates are zero I’m so confused? I just don’t want it to get worse. Is
You started your tank in April I hope your lights have been off. This will help with algae. I hope you are using rodi zero water for changes. Now 6-8 weeks turn on lights and start testing.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you started your tank in April I hope your lights have been off this will help with algae after 6 to 8 weeks turn your lights on and start testing. You will need to clean up crew to keep your algae in check at 10 to 12 weeks you'll be ready for your first test corals. Slowly developing a fish population corals love fish poop

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shoot I am using RODI water. I have corals now my fish store said I was okay to get some. Still shut off my lights or just reduce the lights. They are on at 60 percent. Ai hydra 32 on 20 gallon. On max for 8 hours 2 hour ramp on and off.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you started your tank in April I hope your lights have been off this will help with algae after 6 to 8 weeks turn your lights on and start testing. You will need to clean up crew to keep your algae in check at 10 to 12 weeks you'll be ready for your first test corals. Slowly developing a fish population corals love fish poop
I have slowly been adding fish and already have 5 corals .. they seem to be doing well. My tank went through it’s nitrogen cycle super quick I dosed 2 ppm ammonia with lights fully off for a month and it took 2 weeks I used live rock 20 lbs, live sand , and dr Tim’s. It took two weeks to have zero ammonia and nitrite and then went from 50 ppm plus nitrate to 2.5ppm nitrate. I then added my clown fish pair. Two weeks later cardinal and a week later mandarin. I had been dozing algae barn pods weekly for 3 weeks. I saw a diatom bloom brown stuff that went away. Now I have all this green slime on rocks and glass. I’m not sure if I need to do anything ? It’s too late for no lights I thought I was passed that.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone's ugly stage is a bit different, yours looks completely normal, great time to pick up some snails and crabs.
So I have 3 hermits , two Torchus snails, and two that bury in the sand and clean sandbed when I feed food / dead things

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion, you don't have a problem and should do nothing. Except get some algae-eating snails- every reef needs them
Thank you. I have some hermits and snails already. I just wasn’t sure if this is a normal phase. So this will eventually go away and then corralaine develops if you have great water perimeters ?

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have some hermits and snails already. I just wasn’t sure if this is a normal phase. So this will eventually go away and then corralaine develops if you have great water perimeters ?
Basically, yes. However, reefing is inherently difficult and you will make mistakes you can't even imagine at the moment. :)
What kind of snails?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weeks, still getting better daily. Tank set up in January. You can see it in sand still. But it’s a lot better.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thank you for that. I will just give it time. I went a little too ham on the corals and fish but I’m done for now haha. This helps put it into perspective. I love your aquascape. Kinda wish I had some higher points on my rock.

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's ugly stage is a bit different, yours looks completely normal, great time to pick up some snails and crabs.
Its a good time to overstock astreia ,nerite snails. add 2 or 3 large hermits to eat the snails. as the food runs out. Urchants are exelent rock polishers before coraline starts

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basically, yes. However, reefing is inherently difficult and you will make mistakes you can't even imagine at the moment. :)
What kind of snails?
Haha I can’t wait. I’ve been trying to be too perfect with this. Need to relax some I think and let time take its course. I got two Trochus and two that bury in the sand and come out when food is near/ dead things.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back