Can someone clarify ?

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m looking to start a bigger tang than what I currently have now 20 long. I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for but I’m trying to do something along the lines of a shallow reef but don’t know what makes something a shallow reef just the tank size ? I just don’t want to be sticking half my body in to just do water changes. What the biggest gal size that fits this criteria please help !

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "shallow reef" is defined by being shallow so it can be any size in gallons. Even the height is subjective in regards to what makes a shallow reef. In any case i suggest getting what you want the definition is irrelevant. However you define shallow reef is fine....its your money buying the tank!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard tanks are around 24 inches deep. A shallow is something... well shallow... example The 80g Seapora is a shallow reef at 16 inches tall. They are generally easy to light/flow and work in since you don't need to go armpit level.

Any size fits a shallow reef as long as it's... shallow :p It could be a 8 foot custom tank or such.

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agree, I see shallow as less than 24" tall. Definitely recommend this as I had a 31" tall tank and it was a pain to clean.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where or what site can I find these sizes I’ve been trying to look but only see breeder tanks or the typical size sold at petco

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard tanks are around 24 inches deep. A shallow is something... well shallow... example The 80g Seapora is a shallow reef at 16 inches tall. They are generally easy to light/flow and work in since you don't need to go armpit level.

Any size fits a shallow reef as long as it's... shallow :p It could be a 8 foot custom tank or such.
Any site recommendations to look that size is actually around what I’m looking for

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any site recommendations to look that size is actually around what I’m looking for
I believe you need to find a LFS to order you one. They have been difficult to come by with COVID but my LFS did get some in after months of not having any so may be some around. I don’t believe these tanks are sold and shipped by online venders.

This is what you want them to order. They used to be called Deep Blue tanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m looking to start a bigger tang than what I currently have now 20 long. I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for but I’m trying to do something along the lines of a shallow reef but don’t know what makes something a shallow reef just the tank size ? I just don’t want to be sticking half my body in to just do water changes. What the biggest gal size that fits this criteria please help !
We need to know your parameters, specifically how long are your arms? :)

Perfect stand height and the proper footprint of the tank can be estimated using the same measurements.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back