Can someone help me??? Blue tang in a 30g not doing well

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a blue tang and I have notice that it skin isn't looking as healthy as when we first brought it home. A few weeks before we had a sailfin tang with it but it died so right now it's just it in the tank with some snails and cleaner shrimp.

4asepy2u.jpg

gesaguta.jpg

Also can someone name this coral for me
azunyta6.jpg

And here's some crab on snail action
ahy3edyv.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a tang expert, but I know they need good water quality,
Strong powerhead flow, nori sheets for feeding, along with good quality food
Such as Newlife spectrum. Can you state your water params?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a tang expert, but I know they need good water quality,
Strong powerhead flow, nori sheets for feeding, along with good quality food
Such as Newlife spectrum. Can you state your water params?

+1 we need more info on the tank and your water quality, but I can tell you right now that that tang is very sick and most likely will not make it.

Please stop adding fish until you identify the reason for death, especially if you had another tang die within weeks of this one.

Can you post more info on the tank, it would really help to identify the issues.

OP
OP
Silvr_Back

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is good set up for almost 2 and a half months now. Weekly water changes ever Friday I do 10% so about 3 gallon since its a 30 gallon tank. Ph is at 8.2 with 0 across the board on ammonia nitrite and nitrates. Temp is usually between 77-79. It eats very well no issues with that feed it spectrum pellets for breakfast and brine shrimp for dinner along with garlic and vitamins that I mix with it plus I put seaweed 3 times a week on a veggie clip for it but sometime my snails get to it before it does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two and a half months in very young for a tank. It takes a good year for everything to settle down. I'm not throwing you under the bus...I am speaking from experience. I was so eager to add things to my tank, I had a few casualties too. Have you checked the ammonia? Let your tank stay fallow for a couple of months, then slowly add appropriate fish species that when grown, can live comfortably in a 30 gallon tank. Tangs, depending on which kind, need anywhere from 90g to 225g just to survive. A 30g tank is in no way adequate for them. Don't be discouraged, everything will settle down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

The coral you wanted ID'd looks like green polyps. I don't know if they have a fancy name. Love the crab/snail action.

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on tank being too small and too new.

blue tangs are proned to ick when stressed out (new tank/small tank)

the brine shrimp is not doing too much good for the tang. they need plant based food.

Nordic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Hippo Tangs are very touch and go unless your Local Fish Store supplies from a very good wholesaler. When I worked in the biz I would say 3 out of 5 would die from some wholesalers with the other two 50/50 over the course of the next two weeks.

With that said, your tank may be too young for something so fragile. Wait about 3-4 more months before trying another one. Additionally, you should quarantine new arrivals to ensure that they are not sick. Based on your pictures, your Hippo Tang looks like it could have one or two different diseases going on right now. I would treat him immmediately if he is still doing OK with Cupramine and PraziQuantel. You need to use a different tank as the Cupramine will kill your invertebrates in your tank.

The coral you listed is Palythoa Grandis. A very hardy and fast growing species. Excellent for the beginner. Just make sure you don't let them take over!

ReefManMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Hippo Tangs are very touch and go unless your Local Fish Store supplies from a very good wholesaler. When I worked in the biz I would say 3 out of 5 would die from some wholesalers with the other two 50/50 over the course of the next two weeks.

With that said, your tank may be too young for something so fragile. Wait about 3-4 more months before trying another one. Additionally, you should quarantine new arrivals to ensure that they are not sick. Based on your pictures, your Hippo Tang looks like it could have one or two different diseases going on right now. I would treat him immmediately if he is still doing OK with Cupramine and PraziQuantel. You need to use a different tank as the Cupramine will kill your invertebrates in your tank.

The coral you listed is Palythoa Grandis. A very hardy and fast growing species. Excellent for the beginner. Just make sure you don't let them take over!
+1 ... +1 +1 !

Blue face angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs need lots of swimming room and anything smaller then a 4 foot tank will stress them out . Even when they are small people make mistake of putting them in smaller tanks . They can be eating good still just the stress of no room can pay its toll. Personally I suggest finding someone willing to buy it from you who has a bigger tank .

Blue face angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just stating what I have learned over the years. I started with a blue tang in a 55 gallons tank then slowly move up to a 125 as it became stressed . It lived for 17 years in that tank . Also believe running a uv with tangs to help with free floating parisites .

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back