What size tangs to add to an existing tang?

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I currently have a Red Sea Sailfin Tang that I've had for several years.
It is about 5" from nose to end of tail.
It is currently the largest fish in the tank.
About its temperament, it isn't overly aggressive, but will occasionally chase the second largest fish ( a 4" Copperband Butterfly).

I am looking to add 2 more tangs, a Powder Blue and a Clown.
What size would be recommended to get them?
My LFS currently has each of these which are probably about the same size as my Red Sea Sailfin.

My thinking is that these larger specimens are the way to go, they can probably hold their own better at this size and be more readily accepted into the community hierarchy.
I typically buy fish smaller than this and had a thought, being larger, meaning they have been in the wild longer, would it be harder for them to adjust to captive life?
Would I be better off purchasing smaller specimens and have them just deal with the gauntlet of adjusting to the tank with a larger established tang?

Also, I currently have a bunch of recently purchased chromis' in an observation tank. Would it be of any benefit/distraction to introduce these "dither" fish at the same time as the new tangs?

Just looking for opinions or similar personal experiences with this.

Thanks.

A post is always better with pics, so here is my Red Sea Sailfin.
RSS.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I currently have a Red Sea Sailfin Tang that I've had for several years.
It is about 5" from nose to end of tail.
It is currently the largest fish in the tank.
About its temperament, it isn't overly aggressive, but will occasionally chase the second largest fish ( a 4" Copperband Butterfly).

I am looking to add 2 more tangs, a Powder Blue and a Clown.
What size would be recommended to get them?
My LFS currently has each of these which are probably about the same size as my Red Sea Sailfin.

My thinking is that these larger specimens are the way to go, they can probably hold their own better at this size and be more readily accepted into the community hierarchy.
I typically buy fish smaller than this and had a thought, being larger, meaning they have been in the wild longer, would it be harder for them to adjust to captive life?
Would I be better off purchasing smaller specimens and have them just deal with the gauntlet of adjusting to the tank with a larger established tang?

Also, I currently have a bunch of recently purchased chromis' in an observation tank. Would it be of any benefit/distraction to introduce these "dither" fish at the same time as the new tangs?

Just looking for opinions or similar personal experiences with this.

Thanks.

A post is always better with pics, so here is my Red Sea Sailfin.
RSS.jpg
My first question is do you plan to add these 2 tangs and nothing else after? If not, pass on them. They’ll make it a pain to introduce any new fish once established.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it is always somewhat of a crapshoot. IMO, yes the more fish you can add at one time the better. Agree that these will make it very difficult to add anything remotely similar in the future noting that powder blues are notoriously aggressive. Agree that the larger size may be helpful but I'm not sure whichever one becomes dominate will care. You don't mention what size tank you have. Assuming it is at least 180 gallons, IME, hiding places help. Good luck.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm quite certain the specimens at the LFS are indeed wildcaught.

Powder Blue is a must have for me. So hopefully the one I get will play nicely, the one I had in the past was well behaved.

I've never kept a Clown before. I think it has some beautiful markings and coloration, worth trying. Or any suggestions for one with a better temperament? Not commonly seen in my LFS but maybe a Dussumieri or Maculiceps?

Also, the LFS tends to get Powder Blues and Clowns in at the same time, so easy to add both at the same time.

As for the tank, it's a 9' 330 gallon peninsula.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question is do you plan to add these 2 tangs and nothing else after? If not, pass on them. They’ll make it a pain to introduce any new fish once established.
Missed your post somehow.

Probably still a few more fish to add.

Mystery wrasse, another must have for me.
A pair of Mandarin Dragonettes. I find these guys to be just super cool.
A few Dispar Anthias to join the lone dispar I currently have.

That would probably complete my stocking list.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed your post somehow.

Probably still a few more fish to add.

Mystery wrasse, another must have for me.
A pair of Mandarin Dragonettes. I find these guys to be just super cool.
A few Dispar Anthias to join the lone dispar I currently have.

That would probably complete my stocking list.
I’d pass for now and get those fish added then introduce your tangs. Yes, you’ve got a large tank but they’ll still be aggressive - especially that clown.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is aggressive too and will be much more aggressive than the Sailfin. I would add a significantly smaller PBT rather than the same size.

OP
OP
Tub Life

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is aggressive too and will be much more aggressive than the Sailfin. I would add a significantly smaller PBT rather than the same size.

Good point. I will make my purchase when the LFS has both a powder blue and a convict tang in smaller sizes than my resident Sailfin.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict tangs are very docile. It is hard to get a convict tang that is eating well. I would add him first, and let him get comfortable before adding a Powder Blue. Powder Blue are common (but beautiful) you can always pass on this one, until you get a convict to do well first. Get another PBT is easy, in compared to get a Convict that will live in your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back