Can someone help me?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like….can I classify coralline as a nuisance algae or what? This is ridiculous. I scrape it off and it’s coming back in even fuller force…sigh…..lol. I need to RIP clean this whole tank but I got rid of my dino problem and basically have been ignoring the last 2 months of hardcore upkeep, and I’m probably just going to buy a 40 gallon AIO and transfer and use this as a “frog fish display”. It’s too small for an urchin, I think, are there any “nano” options to crush coralline???? I don’t have much other algae in this thing at the moment.

CAC6B71A-392B-45A6-8F40-FB8040793A1C.jpeg
22B2D346-2797-47D5-A877-D0FDA8808A28.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is a good "problem" to have, but if you are determined to get rid of it I believe asterina starfish will eat it. Be warned though that some species of asterinas are know to eat some corals (zoas at least). Also many people consider them a pest.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a scraper with a stainless steel blade. Your filtration may also not be adequate enough and the algae is running amok.
It's a small AIO, I'm running an oversized pump and have a protein skimmer and a media tumbler that can be called in on short notice...I don't know what else to do? Most of my coral is looking good.

I agree that it is a good "problem" to have, but if you are determined to get rid of it I believe asterina starfish will eat it. Be warned though that some species of asterinas are know to eat some corals (zoas at least). Also many people consider them a pest.

In this small of a tank (12 gallon) that seems like a YOLO move that'll cut off nose to spite my face. Things ESCALATE QUICKLY on these small tanks. I've found this out pretty quickly, as this is my first nano....I'm used to bigger tanks.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried reducing your light intensity?
I got dinos real bad after vacation in early August so I've been pretty much running 35% blue light on a 8 hour cycle with a red sea reefLED 50 on a 12 gallon nano. I'm actually going to make an opposite change and add back in some white light (10%), but I think I'll prob take it off eventually. Running blue light only has pretty much settled this tank right in. Jason Fox does it (all blue). I might try it for a bigger tank here.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have to stay on top of it. Scraping coralline off of viewing panels is regular maintenance.
This is probably what I should have asked - for people that have sustained coralline growth to the point of nuisance how are you removing it. I'm just being really whiny about it right now.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this small of a tank (12 gallon) that seems like a YOLO move that'll cut off nose to spite my face. Things ESCALATE QUICKLY on these small tanks. I've found this out pretty quickly, as this
Oh there isn't a chance I would do it on any sized tank. But if it's that bad to you then I was just throwing it out as a suggestion. Also, I've never had asterinas in my tank so I don't actually know how much coraline they eat, I'm only basing it on what I've heard about them.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there isn't a chance I would do it on any sized tank. But if it's that bad to you then I was just throwing it out as a suggestion. Also, I've never had asterinas in my tank so I don't actually know how much coraline they eat, I'm only basing it on what I've heard about them.
I've been snooping around trying to find some weeeeeeeeee tiny urchin babies but it's kinda been a slog.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got dinos real bad after vacation in early August so I've been pretty much running 35% blue light on a 8 hour cycle with a red sea reefLED 50 on a 12 gallon nano. I'm actually going to make an opposite change and add back in some white light (10%), but I think I'll prob take it off eventually. Running blue light only has pretty much settled this tank right in. Jason Fox does it (all blue). I might try it for a bigger tank here.
I’ve just treated my tank for dinos, from my research white light is a plus in the battle as it helps support the other algae that will be replacing the dinos, dinos can survive longer without lights than these other elements we are trying to replace the dinos with.

Cleared my tank, was running my tank with whites throughout.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been snooping around trying to find some weeeeeeeeee tiny urchin babies but it's kinda been a slog.
I personally dislike urchins. I had one in my tank and it would constantly move any coral that it was able to. At one point it dumped my entire (although fairly small) frag rack out and was carrying the rack around the tank. I would only put another urchin in my display if I were to glue every coral down as soon as it went into my tank.

Also, as for scraping the coraline algea off, my magnetic scraper is capable of doing it after a few passes if it's only a few spots. I doubt it would work if the glass was completely covered though.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just treated my tank for dinos, from my research white light is a plus in the battle as it helps support the other algae that will be replacing the dinos, dinos can survive longer without lights than these other elements we are trying to replace the dinos with.

Cleared my tank, was running my tank with whites throughout.
dinos grow in white light, that's good enough for me to shut em' off.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is best case of 'worst case' scenerio, worst case everything would of died.. in your case everything is thriving. I would scrape off and sell on corraline algae, if just removel, I would buy a window scraping tool that holds Stanley blades about £2 to clean glass, all will fall to your sand bed so be prepared to remove manually (fingers 1st) then smaller deposits by net then either turkey baster or any other method of your choice, lengthy process but I'm sure this will clear most.
I would avoid transferring anything from this aquriam to another as you will only be transferring the problem, also ask yourself if 'I left this aquriam for 2 months can I handle another, can I, do I have time? ' besides that it's all about finding time to clean your aquarium :)

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is best case of 'worst case' scenerio, worst case everything would of died.. in your case everything is thriving. I would scrape off and sell on corraline algae, if just removel, I would buy a window scraping tool that holds Stanley blades about £2 to clean glass, all will fall to your sand bed so be prepared to remove manually (fingers 1st) then smaller deposits by net then either turkey baster or any other method of your choice, lengthy process but I'm sure this will clear most.
I would avoid transferring anything from this aquriam to another as you will only be transferring the problem, also ask yourself if 'I left this aquriam for 2 months can I handle another, can I, do I have time? ' besides that it's all about finding time to clean your aquarium :)
I own a couple retail locations and it’s been hectic the last couple months. Normally I’m on top of it. ‍♂️

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back