Hydroids? Can someone help me ID

ParticleMan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Messages
126
Reaction score
98
Location
Corona
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple frags that have these things hanging on them. The zoas have never fully opened and when they have, they have these tiny pin heads. I've had them in various parts of the tank but no luck. I noticed once side has these filaments coming off and was wondering if they might be colonial hydroids. The other frag is an acan that has two spots where it has receded that have these same things. I thought it might be hair algae but now that I've seen other images online I think they are also hydroids. The other corals in the tank are fine. The acan has been in that spot for at least 2 months. If they are hydroids how can I get rid of them? Peroxide dip? I've tried to brush them off before with no luck. Thanks.

20260529_185424.jpg 20260529_185402.jpg 20260529_185341.jpg 20260529_185314.jpg
 
Looks like hydroids to me. In the past if I could remove the frag I'd scrape the hydroids off and cover the area in reef glue. I tried covering hydroids kalkwasser too if I couldn't remove the frag. It worked most of the time. If trying kalkwasser make sure its a thick paste so it sticks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new