Can someone ID this?

Dustin813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this growing on a zoa frag today, and also noticed a second growing on my live rock. Looks like aptasia to me but I’m not 100% sure. If so, I have no experience with this pest, can those of you who do give me a few suggestions to get rid of it? Thanks in advance

a58185350918b44611fcac76d0136408.heic
da5e25f4c29a329920a462c32350df95.heic

Sorry these were the best pictures I could get

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the zoas from the frag and mount to something else.throw away the plug and practice this from now on.don't nip cut or take anything of the aiptasia with them.hope this helps and those are some nice zoas:)

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the live rock part speed reading.break off that piece of rock it is on and if its not possible get rid of it or kill the rock by drying outside in a clean place and reseed and bring it back in a container or bucket with a pump and pods or photo and purple up if you want color

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the live rock part speed reading.break off that piece of rock it is on and if its not possible get rid of it or kill the rock by drying outside in a clean place and reseed and bring it back in a container or bucket with a pump and pods or phyto and purple up if you want color

OP
OP
Dustin813

Dustin813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the zoas from the frag and mount to something else.throw away the plug and practice this from now on.don't nip cut or take anything of the aiptasia with them.hope this helps and those are some nice zoas:)

Okay...I’m new to this, I have no idea how to remove them from that frag without destroying them..

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 gloves and goggles or glasses and clean working container with your tanks water in it and discard water when you are done.pickup the zoas with gloved hands and close them by lightly touching them in your container and you will find a good spot to get the razor under them and carefully glide along the top of plug and glue them using good super glue to what you want and don't touch anything on your body or face with the gloves and trash them when done and clean your operating container good when done and won't hurt to watch a few good zoa fragging YouTube vids

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue the aphasia scrape it off. There are nudiabranches that eat just aptasia or try peppermint shrimp.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back