Is this aptasia??

RuffSwami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, a friend gave me some live rock to start my cycle and I noticed theses things growing on it. Can I get some help identifying if it’s aptasia or feather dusters?
IMG_2580.jpeg
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it. I mix up a kalkwasser paste and shoot it right in the mouth with a large gauge needle from Amazon. Others successfully use F Aiptasia. No matter what you use just make sure to sneak up on it and get it in the mouth otherwise it won't work. You can also use a little reef epoxy after the paste and cover the hole for a bit and just pull it off later. No more aiptasia.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bergias did not work for me, twice.
We have used tne kalkwasser paste many times. All pumps off for 20 minutes, completely cover the aptasia/polyp with kalk. This can also be used for nuisance palys. Some reefers siphon out afted 20 mins, i let it dissipate, over a couple of days.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn’t work get a Wild XL caught peppermint shrimp from

They ate all my aptasia. He was definitely worth the price, don’t get the small ones… only the XL they are raised eating aptasia said one of the member on this company on email. They strive for problem shooting pest situations like these and having these peppermints have true value to solve your needs.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use the kalk method- better bet is to take the rock itself out. Trust me- especially when small any tissue left just makes more.

My favorite method is to chip off the chunk of rock that it sits on and toss it- But now I'm at the point where I will not accept rock without thorough inspection.

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Everyone. I will try the Kalkwasser method .
The kalkwasser has worked for me in every occasion. Maybe I'm lucky. If you try it, like I said before, just make sure it's open and it's mouth is exposed. If you touch it and it recedes don't squirt it, wait for it to open back up and try again. You want it in the mouth. And I always cover it with a reef epoxy for a week or so and then just pull it off. It doesn't seem that you have a massive outbreak. Based on your photo it looks like just a couple on one rock. Peppermint shrimp can be a good alternative. So can bergia nudis. Good luck with whichever way you go.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp from Salty Bottom Reef Company. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just saying that what I got from them took care of the Aiptasia I had.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back