Can someone identify this snail? Soft spikes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dani305
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dani305

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
476
Reaction score
805
Location
Miami, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I purchased this today from my LFS he said it was reef safe.

I think he said it was a tiger snail, but when I google that it’s not like it it. So maybe I forgot or heard wrong.

Anyways, at the store him she’ll was dark and smooth. He’s about 2.5/3 inches.

EDE21343-5F5A-447A-AFED-5D31AE87C7B5.jpeg



We put it in the tank and after a bit… now he looks like this…

Sorry about the deep blue my orange lense works weird at night ( when the blue is deeper).

it seems to have soft spikes!

 
hi, tiger cowrie ?
 
Oh seems like he may not be all that reef safe.

At least he’s slow enough to catch if I decide to return.

what do you guys say about this snailv
 
hard to tell exact species under blues, definitely a cowrie though.
 
They look different in the pics because the mantle on the ones you see is not extended. You may just be seeing empty shells. The living tissue wraps back around the shell. Neat snail. Probably not a model citizen I'm your reef. Worth reading about.
 
Oh seems like he may not be all that reef safe.

At least he’s slow enough to catch if I decide to return.

what do you guys say about this snailv
for the most part if well fed will not bother corals , clams different story...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new