Can someone please help with adjusting my protein skimmer. This is a new experience for me.

Chrisnugent942

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a bubble magus QQ3 HOB and my main question is if those bubbles being produced at the bottom are normal and if not how to get rid. My second question is if I have the cup at right level and how to know its at a good level

Attachments

• IMG_1596.MOV
    10.8 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,think just breaking in,give it a day or two,bubbles should decrease,and will be able to properly adjust. :)

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, allow the bubbles to decrease then adjust. Depending on how you want to skim (watery or very thick sludge) you’ll need to adjust the skimmer. I’m not familiar with HOB skimmers, but generally you’ll either need to physically elevate the unit or there will be a small adjustment knob that allows more or restricts water flow into the skimmer to produce wetter or thicker skimmate. I’ve heard a lot of reports about this skimmer leaking microbubbles into the tank but rubberbanding (or otherwise securing) the cover to the area with the sponge in it should take care of the issue :)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, if your skimmer overflows it flows right back into the tank, you would think this would be obvious but in the beginning, some of HOB skimmers did not, maybe you can experiment with yours and cause it to overflow and see what happens.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this skimmer and it’s been running for 48 hours. So far I hate it. Micro bubbles that are irritating my corals. They are closed shut. Also, it seems impossible to tune this skimmer. The bubbles in the body of the skimmer are just bubbling away. They absolutely do not look like foam. I’m started to get really irritated with the product. How long did it take for your skimmer to break in? How is it performing for you?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree with above statements typical during the skimmer break in, I know in a sump setup you could add a bubble trap sponge to minimize the bubbles during the break in time, it’s like a black coarse sponge.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back