Can the Nitrate Brick from Brightwell be stored?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
My nitrates are actually too low now. 0.2 ppm. The brick brought them down from 40 ppm. Can I take the brick out and store it in salt water or RODI?
THX

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
My nitrates are actually too low now. 0.2 ppm. The brick brought them down from 40 ppm. Can I take the brick out and store it in salt water or RODI?
THX
RODI, no. Salt water, it is possible, but not easy.

The way those bricks work is that it creates zones of low oxygen where denitrifying microbes (those that consume nitrates, in laypeople's terms) can propagate. Most of these microbes are heterotrophs however, i.e. requiring organic compounds for metabolism. So you have to supply them with food essentially, for them to eat.

The other issue would be the lack of nitrates, which for many species is the primary terminal electron acceptor (along with nitrite, potentially). So they have to go for alternatives. Oxygen is one, but well, those zones does not really allow that. So they have to utilize other compounds like fumarate, but that's not exactly 'easy' to obtain either to maintain their populations. Don't worry too much what 'terminal electron acceptor' means, basically they are just compounds necessary for respiration.

Long story short, you have to feed them and supply them with alternative terminal electron acceptors. However unless you know exactly what species lives in your brick, it'd be impossible to know which compounds to supplement.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info! But if I'm not interested in salvaging the bacteria themselves, will the brick be resusable if I just keep it dry or do I need to store it in some type of water, salt or RO/DI?
I dont think the brick came seeded with any bacteria. But even if it did, perhaps some will become spores again if I store this one (just in plain water, no supplementation to it or dry). SINce it's been wet will it degrade, fall apart? Anyone reused one before?
TY!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard those bricks turn to mush after a while. I wouldn't save it

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know they can do that. But if mine doesnt I'd like to reuse it whne I need to. They are not cheap. And I dont want to have buy a new one, especially if the nitragtes go up quickliy and I have to put another brick in, and cycle like that , I'd want to use this one over and over of course

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that info! But if I'm not interested in salvaging the bacteria themselves, will the brick be resusable if I just keep it dry or do I need to store it in some type of water, salt or RO/DI?
I dont think the brick came seeded with any bacteria. But even if it did, perhaps some will become spores again if I store this one (just in plain water, no supplementation to it or dry). SINce it's been wet will it degrade, fall apart? Anyone reused one before?
TY!
Ah right, gotcha. I don't have personal experience with the Brightwell ones, but I use MarinePure, same concept. I just chuck it into storage dry, and then reuse them later. They don't come pre-seeded anyways, and if it's just a matter of storage, then yeah no need to keep them wet. Though I would suggest keeping it in saltwater at least for a few days in case nitrates start climbing up too much and you'd need to use it again.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah right, gotcha. I don't have personal experience with the Brightwell ones, but I use MarinePure, same concept. I just chuck it into storage dry, and then reuse them later. They don't come pre-seeded anyways, and if it's just a matter of storage, then yeah no need to keep them wet. Though I would suggest keeping it in saltwater at least for a few days in case nitrates start climbing up too much and you'd need to use it again.
Perfect.. Thanks for that!. True, if NO3 climbs quickly, I'll need the bacteria still alive as possible. I wonder if cutting the brick in half would reduce its capacity by a lot more than 1/2. I know the surface area to volume would be greater, meaning more o2 in it which is bad. That's a new subject though!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect.. Thanks for that!. True, if NO3 climbs quickly, I'll need the bacteria still alive as possible. I wonder if cutting the brick in half would reduce its capacity by a lot more than 1/2. I know the surface area to volume would be greater, meaning more o2 in it which is bad. That's a new subject though!
Yeah, that's the only concern - whether or not it would significantly reduce anoxic spaces for the denitrifiers to live in. Haha now I am curious and kinda wanna see what would happen, but not sure if you'd want to risk it. XD

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back