Can these fish quarentine together?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarentining some fish together in a 20 gallon tank before they enter my 180 reef. I currently have a sasha goby, a orange spotted goby, and a diamond watchmen goby. I would like to add a mated pair of sleeper head gobies. Will this work? I wonder if the sleeper head gobies an the diamond watchman goby are too similar? I am fiarly confident in a 180 reef they can cohabitate?

any experiences?

The idea of a mated pair of sleeper head gobies is very appealing! They are currently sharing a burrow at the LFS. and doing TTM is so hard that I like to group fish together....more bang for my effort.

Thank you!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarentining some fish together in a 20 gallon tank before they enter my 180 reef. I currently have a sasha goby, a orange spotted goby, and a diamond watchmen goby. I would like to add a mated pair of sleeper head gobies. Will this work? I wonder if the sleeper head gobies an the diamond watchman goby are too similar? I am fiarly confident in a 180 reef they can cohabitate?

any experiences?

The idea of a mated pair of sleeper head gobies is very appealing! They are currently sharing a burrow at the LFS. and doing TTM is so hard that I like to group fish together....more bang for my effort.

Thank you!

General fish keeping rule is one of each type unless mated. If those sleeper heads are truly friendly (and not just limited time in LFS) that could be an attractive option!

My diamond goby doesn't like anyone else sharing its sand. Its violently killed another similar goby. It drags starfish off to other areas of the tank to rocks. My other sand-oriented gobies get out of its way. My bumblee bee goby just jumped up on a rock while diamond cleaned around it (as I type this). Diamond gobies are obsessive compulsive about sifting. Somewhere I read about their wild territory range, and its more like either our property, home or room I have the 180 in (can't remember which) and not my 180 gallon itself.

Even though they are sand obsessed, there have been times something spooked my diamond and my canopy kept him from doing Olympic Carpet Surfing - deadly sport...

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General fish keeping rule is one of each type unless mated. If those sleeper heads are truly friendly (and not just limited time in LFS) that could be an attractive option!

My diamond goby doesn't like anyone else sharing its sand. Its violently killed another similar goby. It drags starfish off to other areas of the tank to rocks. My other sand-oriented gobies get out of its way. My bumblee bee goby just jumped up on a rock while diamond cleaned around it (as I type this). Diamond gobies are obsessive compulsive about sifting. Somewhere I read about their wild territory range, and its more like either our property, home or room I have the 180 in (can't remember which) and not my 180 gallon itself.

Even though they are sand obsessed, there have been times something spooked my diamond and my canopy kept him from doing Olympic Carpet Surfing - deadly sport...
Interesting... your diamond goby doesn't like star fish? It doesn't say anything about gobies not being friends with star fish in anything I have read? Is this common knowledge? and is this common for gobies? I have a red linkia starfish and a sand sifting starfish?

Crazy35111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with 1 fish per QT tank. Had several times over the years I tried 2, with mixed results.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... your diamond goby doesn't like star fish? It doesn't say anything about gobies not being friends with star fish in anything I have read? Is this common knowledge? and is this common for gobies? I have a red linkia starfish and a sand sifting starfish?

You are missing main point... my diamond goby, like most diamond gobies, is obsessive compulsive when it comes to the substrate. It is why they are known as great cleaners of sand.

Anything on sand, bit of broken off coral, small clam shell I've dropped in, diamond goby has to go 'organize' and straighten - mine built a pile just for bulky bits I drop in (lol). When the starfish crosses the sand, if it isn't fast, goby wants to move it along off its sand...

Something else to keep in mind is in the wild, every other fish is competition for needed resources. This is typically root cause of why fish don't get along with other fish. Few existing true 'fish friends' (like humans have friends). Most fish don't need friend and they do well as the only representative of their species.

Maybe a dumb question but can you quarantine multiple fish at the same time? I'm setting up my quarantine tank first and letting it cycle and was planning to get a fish or 2 in quarantine while my display tank cycles. Would it be possible to quarantine an ocellaris clown and a royal gramma together for 6 to 8 weeks?
Yes you can quarantine multiple fish at the same time

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back