Can this favia be fragged?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has been doing fantastic in my tank, despite ups, downs, and being my first tank. Now it's got this little nubbin coming off, and I'd love to have another to raise for another tank. Would it be ok to just snip it off? It does feel like there's a bit of skeleton in there, and it's the first time I'm trying to frag a stony coral. Are just regular bone cutters ok?

Assuming I can frag it without too much worry, could I glue it onto - say a piece of shell or terracotta that would be easy to frag later? I don't have a bandsaw handy in my apartment.

2m8hT4A.jpg

YYh2J49.jpg

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dremel would be better than bone cutters if you have one. You will risk crushing the skeleton with the bone cutters. Keep in mind you will need to cut around a mouth.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dremel would be better than bone cutters if you have one. You will risk crushing the skeleton with the bone cutters. Keep in mind you will need to cut around a mouth.
The little nib actually has a full mouth of it's own. And I do have a dremel... but what cutting wheel? I've got options

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HomeDepot carries them,maybe get a diamond wheel.
I do have a dremel already, but I've also got at least 4 types of cutting wheel, including 2 diamond wheels. Mind you I only use the one wheel, for wood carving, but was gifted the rest

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond wheel and tank water should be good. The tank water will keep the coral and the cutting wheel cool and not burn anything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back