Can too much intensity cause Acros and milli's to lose color and turn green

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have two corals that I have had for a while. One was a pink tabling acro and one was a blue tipped acro. They both have turned green. I am wondering if too much intensity can lead to a green color instead of the proper color? I turned down my intensity on my kessil a160's from 90 to 65 in hopes that my hypothesis is correct. Any ideas?

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I was always told that acros turn green from high nutrients or low light. My sps system really isn't dirty. My po4 is .02 and NO3 is 3 to 5.
Interested to see what some of the gurus say.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, those much better versed in the subject than myself. Is the opposite true in instances as well. I think that we all know that in something like Red Planet that the portions of the coral exposed to less light is green while those exposed to higher light is red, so can this go both ways?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, those much better versed in the subject than myself. Is the opposite true in instances as well. I think that we all know that in something like Red Planet that the portions of the coral exposed to less light is green while those exposed to higher light is red, so can this go both ways?
Yes. that follows along with Dana's convo posted above and the low light coral discussion. def look at that.
It seems to me however, that the deep water acros have a sensitivity to light. deeper water corals are producing "sunscreen" IMO, its often green. I turned some acros green, and oddly a ricordea. At the same time, my tricolor vileda, finally became tricolored again.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back