Can you help me identify this creature, is it a copepod?

TG17

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 15, 2024
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Location
Mooresville
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone help me identify this creature? When I crank up my wave pumps (once a day for 30-45 second) a bunch of these come out of the rock work and around the aqua scape. The fish seem to like eating them but I am not sure what they are and I am curious is someone can help me identify them. I am wondering if they are some type of copepod?

IMG_5249.jpeg
Sorry this is the best i could get for a picture
 
Idk. Could be some kind of flatworm?

Do you have any predatory fish, like a wrasse? I had some worms in my tank and after putting my wrasse in, the population dropped so much I don’t notice them anymore.

What are your tank parameters?
 
Not a copepod. Based on the "tentacles" I'd say hydroid jellyfish. If so, fine as it will go away on it's own.
 
Probably going to need a better image. Shining a flashlight on the critter will get rid of the blue and should help your camera to fucus.
Thanks for the suggestion on taking the photo, I will give that a try and add another photo.
 
Idk. Could be some kind of flatworm?

Do you have any predatory fish, like a wrasse? I had some worms in my tank and after putting my wrasse in, the population dropped so much I don’t notice them anymore.

What are your tank parameters?
Thanks I will look at some pictures and see if that could be it. I don’t have any wrasse’s today, but might be a good idea for the future. Thank is a 40 gallon Innovative Marine AIO. PH is 8.15 - 8.23, DKH 8.3, Calc 1450, temp 78.
 
Idk. Could be some kind of flatworm?

Do you have any predatory fish, like a wrasse? I had some worms in my tank and after putting my wrasse in, the population dropped so much I don’t notice them anymore.

What are your tank parameters?
Thanks I will look at some pictures and see if that could be it. I don’t have any wrasse’s today, but might be a good idea for the future. Thank is a 40 gallon Innovative Marine AIO. PH is 8.15 - 8.23, DKH 8.3, Calc 1450, temp 78.
Your calcium is very high. 2 to 3 times what it should be. If that were magnesium, you’d be fine. All your other parameters look great.

That tank sounds perfectly sized for one wrasse.

Do you have a tank build thread? I’d love to watch your progress.
 
Thanks I will look at some pictures and see if that could be it. I don’t have any wrasse’s today, but might be a good idea for the future. Thank is a 40 gallon Innovative Marine AIO. PH is 8.15 - 8.23, DKH 8.3, Calc 1450, temp 78.
Retest your calcium. What are you using to test in the first place?
Calcium tests are very easy to mess up (the Hanna one at least)
I think almost everything would be dead at 1450ppm calcium (normal ranges are around 380-450ppm).
Did you mean Magnesium? 1450ppm would be a normal value then.
 
Last edited:
Retest your calcium. What are you using to test in the first place?
Calcium tests are very easy to mess up (the Hanna one at least)
I think almost everything would be dead at 1450ppm calcium (normal ranges are around 380-450ppm).
Did you mean Magnesium? 1450ppm would be a normal value then.
Sorry I am an idiot, you are correct that is the Magnesium value, Calcium is currently 390-400. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
Retest your calcium. What are you using to test in the first place?
Calcium tests are very easy to mess up (the Hanna one at least)
I think almost everything would be dead at 1450ppm calcium (normal ranges are around 380-450ppm).
Did you mean Magnesium? 1450ppm would be a normal value then.
Sorry I am an idiot, you are correct that is the Magnesium value, Calcium is currently 390-400. Thanks for pointing that out.
Do you know what your nitrates and phosphates are?

With that miscommunication cleared up, your parameters are perfect if you can keep them stable around those levels.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new