Can you help me identify this tang

  • Thread starter Thread starter slywowz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slywowz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish was advertised as a white tail tang. As you can see he is pale grey with white tail yellow fins and a bit of yellow around his eyes. When he is picking algae off the rocks he sometimes turns really dark almost black and then when back to swimming almost instantly turns back to grey. When I google pictures of white tail tang they are pink looking. Does anyone know anything about this fish?

1A357D7C-F39E-4776-96AD-1122849A50C2.jpeg F807E03A-F5DF-43F1-BDE1-22DDC92CAADE.jpeg
 
White tail bristletooth tang. Good smaller tang.
First off thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Do you think these are just his juvi colours because all the images online are red or pink colour and this one is grey?
 
There is a lot of variation in colors. I think most common is a darker brown but I've seen almost black to much lighter colors.
 
There is a lot of variation in colors. I think most common is a darker brown but I've seen almost black to much lighter colors.
Well thanks so much that’s awesome cause I was worried he might have been something that would get too big for my tank. He really is pretty cool how he goes from almost black back to a light grey in almost the snap of your fingers. Thanks again for your help!
 
Ok I believe I have the same fish...but my thread was answered with Acanthurus of some sort. And when I checked bristletooth the back ends of the top and bottom fins were more square.

So now I‘m more confused. Ours was sold as a random bristletooth for $79 at the LFS and we loved his white tail. And the fact that a bristletooth would stay reasonably sized for our tank.

When ours is excited he looks almost like a gem tang with his dots flared up.

8596CC37-DF47-4E9E-AFBE-2A771731DA0C.jpeg

8ECCFCB3-7770-4342-9339-76940FA6E1C2.jpeg
 
Ok I believe I have the same fish...but my thread was answered with Acanthurus of some sort. And when I checked bristletooth the back ends of the top and bottom fins were more square.

So now I‘m more confused. Ours was sold as a random bristletooth for $79 at the LFS and we loved his white tail. And the fact that a bristletooth would stay reasonably sized for our tank.

When ours is excited he looks almost like a gem tang with his dots flared up.

8596CC37-DF47-4E9E-AFBE-2A771731DA0C.jpeg

8ECCFCB3-7770-4342-9339-76940FA6E1C2.jpeg
Ya that looks identical to mine, your much better at taking pictures than me lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new