Can you pair different types of clownfish.

ZachDemitro

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2023
Messages
107
Reaction score
33
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if I could pair two different clownfish types for instance a Naked ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris) and a Goldxlightning maroon clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus) at the very least even if they don't lay eggs would they at the very least live together in peace? And not just these clowns but any clown would they work together or share a space? I've seen stores with like dozens of clownfish together so I'm not sure how pairing and how many in a tank actually goes..
 
I was curious if I could pair two different clownfish types for instance a Naked ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris) and a Goldxlightning maroon clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus) at the very least even if they don't lay eggs would they at the very least live together in peace? And not just these clowns but any clown would they work together or share a space? I've seen stores with like dozens of clownfish together so I'm not sure how pairing and how many in a tank actually goes..

I would be leery of trying to pair up a maroon clown with another species, they are pretty aggressive.

Color varieties of the same species can be paired up, as can related species (like ocellaris and percula, or the different skunk clowns).

Pairing of clowns is never a sure thing, so you always need to have a "plan B".

The stores that house a number of clowns together get away with it for the short term due to crowding the fish. This spreads any aggression out over the group of fish, so that at least for the short term, no single fish gets beat up too badly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new