Can you qt a lion fish in copper?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out local fish stores. Around here they almost always have them and even big ones are like $129. And yes they grow fast so dont worry if it’s not as big as you want when you get them.

I have kept them on and off for many years. Similar success with copper to others but back then for me it was “sea cure copper”’ with crummy test kits (the old Aquarium Systems ones).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No copper as their skin cannot handle it, , , yes, same as an eel

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have a juvenile Mombasa Lionfish that I got about 2 weeks ago from LA. He tolerated shipping fine and has looked healthy from the minute I opened the box. He's doing fine in quarantine and eating well. I just finished a week of prazipro (prophylactic, didn't do a FW dip). I was about to start cupramine but decided to do another check to confirm it was safe and came across this thread. I can keep him in my QT for several weeks to watch him. Even if he continues to appear healthy I'm still going to be nervous about introducing him to my tank. All of the fish in my tank went through QT and prophylactic tx with cupramine and prazipro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is interesting. I have a juvenile Mombasa Lionfish that I got about 2 weeks ago from LA. He tolerated shipping fine and has looked healthy from the minute I opened the box. He's doing fine in quarantine and eating well. I just finished a week of prazipro (prophylactic, didn't do a FW dip). I was about to start cupramine but decided to do another check to confirm it was safe and came across this thread. I can keep him in my QT for several weeks to watch him. Even if he continues to appear healthy I'm still going to be nervous about introducing him to my tank. All of the fish in my tank went through QT and prophylactic tx with cupramine and prazipro.

lionfish are scaled fish- copper will not destroy them but have some affect on them.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not plan to use copper at this point obviously. I am considering using Chloroquine Phosphate. Unfortunately the only place I can get it from is off eBay. Hoping that it is actually the desired substance and not some powder that dissolves in seawater ha ha

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not plan to use copper at this point obviously. I am considering using Chloroquine Phosphate. Unfortunately the only place I can get it from is off eBay. Hoping that it is actually the desired substance and not some powder that dissolves in seawater ha ha

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back