Can you run carbon during cycle?

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m asking because my house is currently paying the sacrifice right now as I did a shrimp cycle in my bio32. I got home from work and thought my cat died.

I’m trying to think of ways to reduce the smell that will not affect the cycle, so carbon came to my mind. Obviously water changes are out of the question, and I am not running a skimmer.

It is day 5 of the cycle and took the shrimp out Day 3. The smell has reduced a little bit, but it is still very stinky. Thank you in advance

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet the smell is crylo, red slime stuff. I wouldn't run carbon, save that when your nitrates go through the roof. If you do decide to run it, don't do it for too long.

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet the smell is crylo, red slime stuff. I wouldn't run carbon, save that when your nitrates go through the roof. If you do decide to run it, don't do it for too long.

Yeah this is where I’m at now. Nitrites just shot up today from almost 0. So hopefully not to much longer.

59A8398B-4B7B-4769-AB8B-FFB5A7819CE6.jpeg

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for not using a live animal to cycle your tank! I've used deli shrimp many times and it works just fine.

I dunno if there's anything you can do about the smell. Just try to be patient. It should reduce a lot in the next few days, as the bacteria start to colonize. Give it a good month or two before you add anything. Slow and steady wins the reefing race.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can run carbon.

It has little to no effect on a cycle.

Watch last Friday's video on BRS and he even says you can run carbon to reduce smell from a shrimp cycle.

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can run carbon.

It has little to no effect on a cycle.

Watch last Friday's video on BRS and he even says you can run carbon to reduce smell from a shrimp cycle.

i actually just started getting into watching their channel. Crazy how brs and wwc do a 4 month cycle.

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to speed things up I used Fritz Turbostart 900... Really cut down the cycle significantly from weeks to days. I assume the extra boost of bacteria would cut the odor down considerably

OP
OP
Dustinba

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to speed things up I used Fritz Turbostart 900... Really cut down the cycle significantly from weeks to days. I assume the extra boost of bacteria would cut the odor down considerably

yeah 2 days ago i added a bottle of bio-spira. Seemed to help, but since my ato is hooked up yet, every time i top off with water, the smell comes pouring out. Not to mention the hood fan is also letting it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back