Can you run carbon during cycle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dustinba

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
250
Reaction score
115
Location
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m asking because my house is currently paying the sacrifice right now as I did a shrimp cycle in my bio32. I got home from work and thought my cat died.

I’m trying to think of ways to reduce the smell that will not affect the cycle, so carbon came to my mind. Obviously water changes are out of the question, and I am not running a skimmer.

It is day 5 of the cycle and took the shrimp out Day 3. The smell has reduced a little bit, but it is still very stinky. Thank you in advance
 
Bet the smell is crylo, red slime stuff. I wouldn't run carbon, save that when your nitrates go through the roof. If you do decide to run it, don't do it for too long.
 
Bet the smell is crylo, red slime stuff. I wouldn't run carbon, save that when your nitrates go through the roof. If you do decide to run it, don't do it for too long.

Yeah this is where I’m at now. Nitrites just shot up today from almost 0. So hopefully not to much longer.


59A8398B-4B7B-4769-AB8B-FFB5A7819CE6.jpeg
 
Thank you for not using a live animal to cycle your tank! I've used deli shrimp many times and it works just fine.

I dunno if there's anything you can do about the smell. Just try to be patient. It should reduce a lot in the next few days, as the bacteria start to colonize. Give it a good month or two before you add anything. Slow and steady wins the reefing race.
 
Of course you can run carbon.

It has little to no effect on a cycle.

Watch last Friday's video on BRS and he even says you can run carbon to reduce smell from a shrimp cycle.
 
Of course you can run carbon.

It has little to no effect on a cycle.

Watch last Friday's video on BRS and he even says you can run carbon to reduce smell from a shrimp cycle.

i actually just started getting into watching their channel. Crazy how brs and wwc do a 4 month cycle.
 
If you want to speed things up I used Fritz Turbostart 900... Really cut down the cycle significantly from weeks to days. I assume the extra boost of bacteria would cut the odor down considerably
 
If you want to speed things up I used Fritz Turbostart 900... Really cut down the cycle significantly from weeks to days. I assume the extra boost of bacteria would cut the odor down considerably

yeah 2 days ago i added a bottle of bio-spira. Seemed to help, but since my ato is hooked up yet, every time i top off with water, the smell comes pouring out. Not to mention the hood fan is also letting it out.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new