Can you run ozone without a skimmer?

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have a good article on ozone? Want to do some research. Also, is it possible to run ozone without a skimmer? I don’t have one and don’t plan to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
does anyone have a good article on ozone? Want to do some research. Also, is it possible to run ozone without a skimmer? I don’t have one and don’t plan to.
Yes you can run an ozonizer unit. Skimmers however assist with waste removal and ph

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output of your ozone generator is attached to the skimmer air input. This allows the ozone to interract with the water in the skimmer chamber.

As an alternative you can use a custom built ozone reactor which mixes the water and ozone for as long as possible.

After the ozone reactor you need to remove the ozone and any resulting waste products from the water and for that the water is run through an activated carbon bed.

There are a series of articles you can read.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course you can. I don't consider a skimmer the best option anyway. In the articles linked above I show using both a commercial reactor (probably no longer available) and a DIY reactor.

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running ozone a few years now. After you finish doing your research you will be missing a critical piece of the puzzle.
Ozone changes the surface tension of the contents inside the reactor. I inject ozone into a large Lifereef skimmer. At times the thing looks like its got freshwater inside it. It rarely skims.
So you can inject ozone into system water with a skimmer. If you run the ozone more than a few hours a day you will need another skimmer to skim.
So after taking my SRO-5000 out thinking I was doing an upgrade, I put it back in.
This is why I run 2 skimmers you see in the pics of my sump.

If you don't I suppose you will get some of the doom scenarios that appear because you are not removing the products of the reaction of the ozone with the tank junk. Your tank will get very dirty with nasty grey stuff.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I need to read up a lot more. Any good threads? What does ozone do to ph
When I ran an ozonizer, the brand was zoo Med but corallife was another one on the market

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running ozone a few years now. After you finish doing your research you will be missing a critical piece of the puzzle.
Ozone changes the surface tension of the contents inside the reactor. I inject ozone into a large Lifereef skimmer. At times the thing looks like its got freshwater inside it. It rarely skims.
So you can inject ozone into system water with a skimmer. If you run the ozone more than a few hours a day you will need another skimmer to skim.
So after taking my SRO-5000 out thinking I was doing an upgrade, I put it back in.
This is why I run 2 skimmers you see in the pics of my sump.

If you don't I suppose you will get some of the doom scenarios that appear because you are not removing the products of the reaction of the ozone with the tank junk. Your tank will get very dirty with nasty grey stuff.
I think that would depend how often you are running the Ozone Generator.

Mine is controlled based on an ORP reading, and is only enabled to run at night between 11pm and 6am.

It only runs for about 60 minutes a day, so the rest of the time the skimmer is skimming

The tank just really doesn't ask for more than that.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output of your ozone generator is attached to the skimmer air input. This allows the ozone to interract with the water in the skimmer chamber.

As an alternative you can use a custom built ozone reactor which mixes the water and ozone for as long as possible.

After the ozone reactor you need to remove the ozone and any resulting waste products from the water and for that the water is run through an activated carbon bed.

There are a series of articles you can read.

thank you! This article is exactly what I was looking for. I’m only half way through it

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been mucking around in the tank stirring up dirt this morning. My ORP has gone down and the controller is adding ozone
My Reef Octo skimmer is pulling the dirt out.
IMG_4647-M.jpg

The skimmer with ozone isn't foaming at all.
IMG_4645-M.jpg

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been mucking around in the tank stirring up dirt this morning. My ORP has gone down and the controller is adding ozone
My Reef Octo skimmer is pulling the dirt out.
IMG_4647-M.jpg

The skimmer with ozone isn't foaming at all.
IMG_4645-M.jpg
I think I will have a problem with export if I run ozone without a skimmer

im assuming filter floss will not be adequate to remove the waste. Also not sure if I can afford to have my ph lowered. It’s already on the low end 7.9 at night.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This is going to keep me busy. Appreciate the resources.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back