Can you see a "grid pattern" from them mesh of your lid?

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may seem like a dumb question, I get it... However, I would like to understand this phenomenon before dropping a couple hundred bucks on a lid.

I have a Fluval Evo which is a 13gal Nano. I'm running an AI Prime which I recently purchased so I am new to being "topless".

I need to add a couple utilitarian fish so I figured I'd better get a lid. I'm leaning towards the Kraken but I have a concern... I've seen a "grid pattern" in a tank from a YouTuber which is clearly a shadow from the mesh of the lid. I do NOT care for this look so I would liketo better understand why I see it in some tanks but not others.

Anyone familiar with this?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never noticed any in the past. I found the white slash clear netting from RS to be too reflective for my liking, personal opinion. I had great luck with the black mesh from brs. The only thing I noticed was a slight shadow in the center of my tank as I made a two piece, split top to make it easier to open up. The shadow on mine was from the frame pieces and not the mesh itself. Don’t know if that helps you out

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1, not visible

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so ya'll don't think I'm crazy.... (picky maybe, but not crazy) =)
1672154852003.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I have never noticed a pattern on any of my tanks. I have used egg crate only, egg crate with the clear mesh and just clear mesh with frame border.
Maybe it only shows with the lower light?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so ya'll don't think I'm crazy.... (picky maybe, but not crazy) =)
1672154852003.png

That looks more like "disco" effect than a result of a mesh. Definitely have seen individual led diodes rainbow-ing the sand.

I've had a few different style tops too, including eggcrate on a nano for a bit and didn't see any grid shadow.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the difference between shooting video vs a photo vs what’s seen in real life/time. I have egg crate on mine and don’t see any shadows.

Can you get a top that is returnable in case it does create shadows.

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks and they all have mesh lids. 1 DYI and 1 was supplied with the tank IM10 they do not have any visible grid on the sand. I also have 1 studio 12 by reef-casa with their light and lid. For the first time. Just a couple nights ago I noticed the grid. Because of this thread I am looking at this set up and noticed the light is tilled. Not flat or parallel with the water surface. I am going to straighten out the light and I think that will fix it.

OP
OP
Lord_Mort

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the difference between shooting video vs a photo vs what’s seen in real life/time. I have egg crate on mine and don’t see any shadows.

Can you get a top that is returnable in case it does create shadows.
I agree it probably has something to do with the video.

As for the lid, I placed my order with @Kraken Reef yesterday. I should be able to report back in 2-4 weeks =) I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure the Kraken lid wont be returnable since I had a couple of cut outs done.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2x AI Prime 16 HD LEDs and seems like they just have a slight bit of that "disco ball" effect to them.
I run clear mesh (from Amazon) top but the effect is barely any different with or without the mesh, at least to my eyes.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it has a bit to do with the type of lights as well. I run an AI 16 with a clear Red Sea mesh lid and haven't run into any issues.

Check this vid out, it doesn't talk TOO much about lids directly, but you get the gist how it may be the actual bulbs.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you're feeling spunky, you can try one of these to help diffuse:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back