Can you store wet sand?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just took out and rinsed all of my sand because I am breaking it down and I am wondering if there is a problem with storing it wet because it will take days or weeks to fully dry. I am probably going to reuse it many years down the road, perhaps even a decade

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just took out and rinsed all of my sand because I am breaking it down and I am wondering if there is a problem with storing it wet because it will take days or weeks to fully dry. I am probably going to reuse it many years down the road, perhaps even a decade
You could but is it worth it? I’d toss it if I had store anything more than a month lol.. 10 years seems crazy haha!

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I'll probably rid it then, anyone want some used sand for cheap? hahaha

But is it fine if I store it now if I use it lets say half a year from now? I am thinking of setting up a nano tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The one time I tried way back. . . the smell and muddy effect. . not worth it again

1713383927523.png

Island Goby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so...this is along the lines of a question I have...new never used caribsea dry sand...can I rinse and store wet for up to a couple of weeks before using? if so best storage method...thanks for any direction

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so...this is along the lines of a question I have...new never used caribsea dry sand...can I rinse and store wet for up to a couple of weeks before using? if so best storage method...thanks for any direction

New sand, you should be fine. Make sure that it was never live sand, rinse it well, and store with enough water that you have an inch or two of clear water above the top of the sand.

The issue with old sand is that it's full of both bacteria and food for bacteria, and disturbing the sand bed tends to kick up tons of that stuff, which is at best incredibly stinky and at worst outright toxic to livestock. If it's new sand, you don't have bacterial colonies and their food stuck between sand grains.

Island Goby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sand, you should be fine. Make sure that it was never live sand, rinse it well, and store with enough water that you have an inch or two of clear water above the top of the sand.

The issue with old sand is that it's full of both bacteria and food for bacteria, and disturbing the sand bed tends to kick up tons of that stuff, which is at best incredibly stinky and at worst outright toxic to livestock. If it's new sand, you don't have bacterial colonies and their food stuck between sand grains.
super! Thanks so much...they are brand new sealed bags - wrong stuff was sent - the place I ordered from won't return and told me under no circumstances to rinse and store period - didn't make sense to me given there is no bacteria but thought I would ask in a place I trust more than a fish store....much appreciation

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back