Let's see who can guess correctly.
Screenshot_20170611-155355.png

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, congratulations on higher PH values.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A like, lol
On a positive note, I'm sitting at 8.26 right now
Going to start looking for some bulk media now. I got 6 lbs but guessing that will only last a couple months

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit to being amazed at the difference simply plumbing my skimmer air intake outside made in my pH.

I could not keep my pH higher than 7.9 forever. Same skimmer, slightly larger tank, with the air intake line plumbed to the outside, now consistently stays between 8.2-8.3.

The scrubber was going to be my next idea, but now I don't need it.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No solenoid valve just a simple air hose with one union because of length. My SWC skimmer has an adjustable "fresh air intake" See Pic.

SWC.jpeg

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No solenoid valve just a simple air hose with one union because of length. My SWC skimmer has an adjustable "fresh air intake" See Pic.

SWC.jpeg

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a solenoid.
I'm ordering an airline today for the skimmer, hoping I can get that 8.4 range with that mod

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running pretty solid around the 7.9 and then upgraded my skimmer to one that could take an airline. I am now running in the 8.2 - 8.3 range. 1 piece of advice. If you are running the line more than a few feet, couple up to a larger diameter a few inches from the skimmer. My run to the outside is 1/2" ID tubing. A small price of screen patch keeps bugs from entering the tube from outside. I've heard others using 3/4" ID or more. The larger diameter improves airflow in the line.

simo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SWC.jpeg
Im going to try this too does it just have to hang out ur window ?

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess everybody's situation could be different. My situation is the tank is behind my bar in the center of my basement (yes, I can watch my tank w/favorite cocktail in hand). My sump "room" is in a large closet under the stairway landing, right behind the tank (yes, I found a good use for that oddball space). I could have ran the line to the side of my house (a shorter run) but that was counter to my floor joist direction . So, I decided to run to the back of the house in direction of joists, and pop out under my raised deck, where I drilled a hole the OD of the tube through my rim joist (I have a walk out basement). So, the line needs to get outside, path of least resistance. Don't have it come out right next to HVAC or Dryer vent. That would defeat the purpose.

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't forget some kind of mesh to keep bugs out. I used a screen patch contoured over the end with a zip tie securing it in place. I live in PA where we have stink bugs and ladybugs trying to enter the house in the fall. I found out the hard way when they clogged the line and the skimmer went nuts. Problem solved.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back