can you use marine stress coat while running a uv?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having some fin rot from some unknown thing going bad while away for vacation, and am wanting to dose marine stress coat since it helps heal. is it safe to use with a uv or will the uv make it ineffective?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ingredient documented for this product is Aloe Vera.
The manufacturer claims the product reduces stress by 40%

I would truly love to know how they made that determination.

If the injuries appear infected, you would be better off using medication specifically for the condition rather than a "natural" product; perhaps Kanaplex or Maracyn.

Interesting info here:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While you can, it does not do much other than restoring slime coat

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree with the rest. I would not run aloe with a UV - if you're trying to treat something

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having some fin rot from some unknown thing going bad while away for vacation, and am wanting to dose marine stress coat since it helps heal. is it safe to use with a uv or will the uv make it ineffective?
Aloe Vera will breakdown/alter in the UV.

As an aside, help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

On R2R Discussion of Post

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to make your skimmer go crazy, which might be not so great while you are out of town.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As an aside, help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

Disagree - there is no evidence that beta glycan will (or will not) help. A balanced diet is important.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree - there is no evidence that beta glycan will (or will not) help. A balanced diet is important.
Thanks MnFish1 for your input. I think you should search the Internet. There have been many studies relatively recently done that shows Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan helps heal marine food fishes. Marine food fishes is where we get most of our scientific studies.

Begin with reviewing: Beta-glucan enriched bath directly stimulates the wound healing process in common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Both these freshwater (carp) and saltwater food fishes benefit from Beta Glucan.

There is scientific work being done now in the Pacific Northwest for salmon and other farmed fish.

Regarding fish immunity and Beta Glucan, start the investigation with: The Effects of Beta-Glucan on Fish Immunity
Beta Glucan has been used as a bath, injected, injected with a vaccine, and ingested -- all with positive results.

When an ornamental marine fish is injured or sick, I recommend Beta Glucan be fed (quantity noted in the Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition post). There several pertinent references given in that study.

A balanced diet is also essential On this I wholeheartedly agree! But I've found the captive ornamental marine fishes rarely are provided this. Thus, I also recommend a vitamin supplement be added to their diet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks MnFish1 for your input. I think you should search the Internet. There have been many studies relatively recently done that shows Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan helps heal marine food fishes. Marine food fishes is where we get most of our scientific studies.

Begin with reviewing: Beta-glucan enriched bath directly stimulates the wound healing process in common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Both these freshwater (carp) and saltwater food fishes benefit from Beta Glucan.

There is scientific work being done now in the Pacific Northwest for salmon and other farmed fish.

Regarding fish immunity and Beta Glucan, start the investigation with: The Effects of Beta-Glucan on Fish Immunity
Beta Glucan has been used as a bath, injected, injected with a vaccine, and ingested -- all with positive results.

When an ornamental marine fish is injured or sick, I recommend Beta Glucan be fed (quantity noted in the Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition post). There several pertinent references given in that study.

A balanced diet is also essential On this I wholeheartedly agree! But I've found the captive ornamental marine fishes rarely are provided this. Thus, I also recommend a vitamin supplement be added to their diet.
Let me rephrase what I said: There is no evidence that beta Glucan will help the OP's question which was about a non-specific fin issue. There are a lot of studies out there - you're correct. If anything an antibiotic may (or may not) be necessary. As well as a balanced diet. Beta Glucan should not be harmful either

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase what I said: There is no evidence that beta Glucan will help the OP's question which was about a non-specific fin issue. There are a lot of studies out there - you're correct. If anything an antibiotic may (or may not) be necessary. As well as a balanced diet. Beta Glucan should not be harmful either
Thanks for the clarification. :smiling-face-with-halo:

I understood the OP's original post (#1) that the fish has fin rot. I thought the definition of "fin rot" meant: the fin tissues become eroded and necrotic and which is believed to result from bacterial infection especially in the presence of an inadequate diet.

So in addition to the question regarding Stress Guard's use with the UV, I was providing additional recommendations for an improved diet and the use of Beta Glucan to help heal the fish's fins. :)

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow thanks for this im going to order that. are any fish sensitive to these vitamins?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the clarification. :smiling-face-with-halo:

I understood the OP's original post (#1) that the fish has fin rot. I thought the definition of "fin rot" meant: the fin tissues become eroded and necrotic and which is believed to result from bacterial infection especially in the presence of an inadequate diet.

So in addition to the question regarding Stress Guard's use with the UV, I was providing additional recommendations for an improved diet and the use of Beta Glucan to help heal the fish's fins. :)
Actually - you don't know whether the fish has fin rot (which - to my experience is a bacterial or fungal infection). Otherwise - it could be ammonia damage - due to shipping - or another cause. IDK. In any case - if one were to place a value onto beta glucan - as compered to multiple other issues - my opinion - Is that - it's a(n) extremely minimal affect. That said - appreciate the comments on the products. Thanks for educating me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did he say that it was??
OK - I will change it to beneficial. That was the suggestion - IMHO. That this food was beneficial. Of course - the dosage has not been documented in a hobby tank.

EDIT - I meant relative to the specific problem in the op's question.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow my posts, you know that I do NOT rely on dietary supplements to manage active diseases. Diets support, but do not cure. I call this the “chicken soup syndrome”: soup makes your strep throat feel better but it will not cure it.

If you are feeding your fish a reasonable diet, and they are infected with a disease, you need to explore other remedies.

Aquarium fish diets are typically only deficient in thiamin and vitamin E.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did he say that it was??
Thanks. It seems that my suggestions on using supplements (and me) are a pariah on this forum. I have reviewed hundreds of diets fed to marine fishes by hobbyists and I'd estimate about 80% are deficient (for a variety of reasons). I believe an improper or incomplete diet can result in nutrient and vitamin deficiencies and the onset of serious conditions.

No. It doesn't cure per se but I've seen it send Lymphocystis in remission, and speed the repair of HLLE. Like food/diet, supplements are preventative measures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back