Can you use Cipro and Polylab Medic together?

erlongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with a bad ich outbreak in the 180 mixed reef tank. I have already lost 2 fish and this has been going on 3 weeks. I tried heavy feeding with no luck so now I have begun treating with Polylab medic. A couple of my fish now appear to have a secondary infection now like fin rot and cloudy eyes. I wanted to know if it would be safe for me to use cipro while using medic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been struggling with a bad ich outbreak in the 180 mixed reef tank. I have already lost 2 fish and this has been going on 3 weeks. I tried heavy feeding with no luck so now I have begun treating with Polylab medic. A couple of my fish now appear to have a secondary infection now like fin rot and cloudy eyes. I wanted to know if it would be safe for me to use cipro while using medic?
Medic is peroxide salt and rarely works despite its claim especially at a price tag of $40
Cipro best left for human use and not recommended for many fish
For ich, coppersafe is safe for many fish and alternative is general cure or chloroquine phosphate

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the sick fish to a hospital tank to treat properly.
Polyplab medic will not eliminate ich.

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Medic is peroxide salt and rarely works despite its claim especially at a price tag of $40
Cipro best left for human use and not recommended for many fish
For ich, coppersafe is safe for many fish and alternative is general cure or chloroquine phosphate
Agree and would probably recommend to move to a hospital tank as mentioned in the other post. It sounds like you are treating in tank, and you don’t want copper in the display tank to absorb into rocks and sand or anything, plus it kills inverts.

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, and to answer the specific question, probably not. Mixing treatments (medications, antibiotics, chemicals) is a recipe for disaster.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post a picture of the fish? Uncontrolled ich often looks like a "bacterial disease".

As you discovered "heavy feeding" doesn't work - despite everyone hearing that "it is true". Polyplab Medic, as mentioned is a peroxide salt, and might react with an organic antibiotic.

Jay

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back