Ich outbreak

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, on 21.11.2023 I noticed ich outbreak in my reef tank.
I do not have a QT tank, and I do not have any chance to set up one due to lack of room, so I started treating my fishes with Polylab Medic straight away. Today is day 9 of treating, and I still don’t see any results. I also run UV Sterilizer 24/7.
I soak brine and mysis shrimp in garlic, also I soak dry pellets and flakes in vitamins. I do heavy feeding.
All fishes act normal, eat well, and all of them are full of energy. Only Lipstick Tang has stopped eating, and started swimming very slowly.
I also noticed weird spots on one of my tangs as on the pictures attached. My orange shoulder tang has same thing under his skin. I haven’t got a clue what it is. Does anyone know what it could be?
Could you advice me what else I can do to manage ich outbreak please?
Thank you in advance.

IMG_8119.jpeg IMG_8118.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about doing hyposalinity and placing the corals elsewhere in a bin or a tiny tank?

OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think about hyposalinity. How can I do it? Could you tell me more about it please?
I hope you see the issue on the pictures. I will try to take more better quality ones later on and post it here. Thank you for your suggestion.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think about hyposalinity. How can I do it? Could you tell me more about it please?
I hope you see the issue on the pictures. I will try to take more better quality ones later on and post it here. Thank you for your suggestion.

OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like I would need to keep all the fishes in hyposalinity for about 30 days. I don’t think my corals would survive that long in any containers other than fish tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like I would need to keep all the fishes in hyposalinity for about 30 days. I don’t think my corals would survive that long in any containers other than fish tank.
Correct. Hypo salinity at 1.009 is for fish only.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see an ick infestation on your fish, maybe just the pic on my end.

How long have these guys been together?

The naso is a meek fish, could he have been attacked?

If everyone eats and behaves normal, make no changes and watch carefully. If you have an ick infestation, your going so see a number of things, dots, oval in shape, white to greyish, on the body and fins, can count them.
Stopping eating, or rapid breath, lathargic.

I’d wait till I see what actually progresses. If ick, it would be very early stages, it’s not a fast killer, so be sure what you got.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost sure that it is ich. Please see more pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8142.jpeg
    IMG_8142.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8138.jpeg
    IMG_8138.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8135.jpeg
    IMG_8135.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 32

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the outbreak as well. Just keep the fish happy and they will be fine. Feed at least 3 times a day and variety of foods. Ich is in most aquariums. Happy fish = healthy fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They could. Just have it set up like a tank. It could even be a small tank set up sort of like a frag tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost sure that it is ich. Please see more pictures attached.
Yup, I see the blue, see some dots, but don’t know what they are in the pick.

I have a blue, 5 years old, ick spots twice. They came and went in about three weeks, but all my fish are mature.

I also see the possibility of some aggressive/fight marks, maybe nips.

OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the outbreak as well. Just keep the fish happy and they will be fine. Feed at least 3 times a day and variety of foods. Ich is in most aquariums. Happy fish = healthy fish.
I feed them with brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, two different kind of flakes, and two different kind of pellets. How long did it take you to eliminate the ich?

OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could. Just have it set up like a tank. It could even be a small tank set up sort of like a frag tank.
I will think about it today, I may try to set up little tank and move all my corals in there, but it won’t be easy, as I have 56 corals in my dt.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With me it was about 3-4 weeks. every outbreak/dots amount was smaller and smaller eventually only hippo had last couple spots and than it was all gone. Do you have any aggression in your tank? (this is not good if you do) You have to minimize the stress to let the fish fight it off.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion moving the fish to quarantine/hospitality now will only make the fish more stressed.

OP
OP
R

Raynn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, there is no aggression at all. Sometimes one fish chase each other, but it is very rare. Did you use any medication?

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, there is no aggression at all. Sometimes one fish chase each other, but it is very rare. Did you use any medication?
I have soaked the pallets in garlic oil from Kent I believe. That would be once a day and than I fed mysis 2 times more a day non soaked. I also gave them nori on the clip once a day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion moving the fish to quarantine/hospitality now will only make the fish more stressed.
I think the official recommendation would be 1) either hyposalinity after separating your invertebrates or 2) a larger hospital tank containing copper for the fish at a level of 2.5 ppm - then a fallow period.

While many people seem to be successful with ich management, and its not as deadly as velvet in some circumstances, there are plenty of examples of tank wipeouts with ich - and its usually related to a higher than usual stocking density - as well as potential underlying immunity to ich

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the official recommendation would be 1) either hyposalinity after separating your invertebrates or 2) a larger hospital tank containing copper for the fish at a level of 2.5 ppm - then a fallow period.

While many people seem to be successful with ich management, and its not as deadly as velvet in some circumstances, there are plenty of examples of tank wipeouts with ich - and its usually related to a higher than usual stocking density - as well as potential underlying immunity to ich
I do agree with you unless you have no hospitality tank setup. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back