Can anyone tell me what I need to treat this with?

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Heniochus that I put into my tank on Friday. My One Spot Foxface didn't seem to like the new company and was going after him. I just noticed this today. He is eating fine but it seems like he may now have Ich as well. I can't catch him to put him into quarantine and as I have been trying, it is definitly stressing out my other fish. I guessing this is an open wound and my question is, will First Defense and/or PolyLab Medic help this situation. If not, what can I treat this with and slow down the Ich?
thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get some pictures under brighter white light to better confirm the diagnosis?
If your tank is a fowlr, hyposalinity is an option for ich, but it wouldn’t do anything for a wound.
Best treatment there is to keep the water clean and reduce stressors, and treat with an antibiotic if necessary (which would typically be better administered in qt).

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried hyposalinitity and not to sure if I trust myself with it! I have had success with PolyLab Medic and I tried for 30 minutes to catch him to put him in quarantine but I think that is stressing him and all of the other fish out! It is a 125 gallon fowlr!

Attachments

• IMG_9159.jpeg
    IMG_9159.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9156.jpeg
    IMG_9156.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9160.jpeg
    IMG_9160.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at him closer, it doesn't seem like he has Ich! At least not yet. What kind of meds can I administer with out harming other fish?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing any ich.
To treat with an antibiotic, it’s best to do so in qt so as to not waste extra in the extra volume or damage any beneficial bacteria in the tank.
If it looks worse, definitely treat, but for now I’d look and see.

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing any ich.
To treat with an antibiotic, it’s best to do so in qt so as to not waste extra in the extra volume or damage any beneficial bacteria in the tank.
If it looks worse, definitely treat, but for now I’d look and see.
Have you ever used API Marine Melafix? It states that it doesn't harm beneficial bacteria and if you have corals, it can help reverses coral degradation.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used API Marine Melafix? It states that it doesn't harm beneficial bacteria and if you have corals, it can help reverses coral degradation.
skip the melafix
- looks like ich to me
- Summon a competent expert either @Jay Hemdal Or @vetteguy53081

- if you got a fish only, you. got options
- again looks like ich to me…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never tried hyposalinitity and not to sure if I trust myself with it! I have had success with PolyLab Medic and I tried for 30 minutes to catch him to put him in quarantine but I think that is stressing him and all of the other fish out! It is a 125 gallon fowlr!
While I see a mild case of ich, I also am concerned with the gash which has become infected. Place fish is in a separate sterile tank and treat with coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days with added aeration and if the gash is not improving, add seachem Kanaplex and pay attention to water quality
What other fish in tank and any symptoms with them?

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip the melafix
- looks like ich to me
- Summon a competent expert either @Jay Hemdal Or @vetteguy53081

- if you got a fish only, you. got options
- again looks like ich to me…
Thanks for your comment. I re-examined him again this morning and he doesn't have spots. Also, see the 2nd set of pics. The wound is from a battle with a 6" One Spot Foxface.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for your comment. I re-examined him again this morning and he doesn't have spots. Also, see the 2nd set of pics. The wound is from a battle with a 6" One Spot Foxface.
Wound or gash is what was suspected. You can add rally pro to the tank or treat in separate tank with Seachem kanaplex

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I see a mild case of ich, I also am concerned with the gash which has become infected. Place fish is in a separate sterile tank and treat with coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days with added aeration and if the gash is not improving, add seachem Kanaplex and pay attention to water quality
What other fish in tank and any symptoms with them?
I tried for more than 30 minutes yesterday to catch him to move him to quarantine but I couldn't catch him. My quarantine tank has other fish that I'm getting ready to place in another tank at the end of the week, so even if I did catch him, not sure where I'd put him. Trying to catch him was stressing out the other fish which are Tangs, Angels, Foxface and Wrasses. I'm worried if I keep stressing them out, they'll get sick. Nothing so far on the other fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried for more than 30 minutes yesterday to catch him to move him to quarantine but I couldn't catch him. My quarantine tank has other fish that I'm getting ready to place in another tank at the end of the week, so even if I did catch him, not sure where I'd put him. Trying to catch him was stressing out the other fish which are Tangs, Angels, Foxface and Wrasses. I'm worried if I keep stressing them out, they'll get sick. Nothing so far on the other fish.
Fish Trap always works. If you feel it does NOT have ich, you can use ruby Rally Pro for wound safely in the display tank

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Trap always works. If you feel it does NOT have ich, you can use ruby Rally Pro for wound safely in the display tank
I don't have a fish trap but I am now on the market of getting one. I should have been pro-active on having one on hand than re-active now having to get one. I will get some Rally Pro today and dose the tank. They sell the Rally Pro and Kick-Ich Pro in a kit. Do you recommend both?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't have a fish trap but I am now on the market of getting one. I should have been pro-active on having one on hand than re-active now having to get one. I will get some Rally Pro today and dose the tank. They sell the Rally Pro and Kick-Ich Pro in a kit. Do you recommend both?
Kich ich is useless. Rally available by itself at 8-16-32oz bottles

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1706625037080.png

I’m gonna say you are there and can evaluate what’s happening better than I,
but I was going by this photo and in particular the black area

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that in early ich infections, the parasites are all in sync with one another and can drop off the fish all at once - making it seem like the fish is fine, until the spots all return later on.

I’m also concerned about the apparent injury on its dorsal side. Did you see the foxface do it? There is also an internal infection called Uronema that can mimic an injury like that.

Jay

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that in early ich infections, the parasites are all in sync with one another and can drop off the fish all at once - making it seem like the fish is fine, until the spots all return later on.

I’m also concerned about the apparent injury on its dorsal side. Did you see the foxface do it? There is also an internal infection called Uronema that can mimic an injury like that.

Jay
I did see the Foxface go after him. He has since stopped now but that is where he was going for. Right below the dorsal almost like he targeted that area. It is actually looking a little bit better and I started to put PolyLab Medic in the tank at night and in the morning when the lights are off just in case.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back