Can you use multiple AI Primes to grow SPS coral? | BRStv Investigate

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm no expert, but it looks like you are not providing a long enough photoperiod. You have 4 hours of ramp up and 4 hours of ramp down, but only 4 hours of maximum intensity. I would suggest 8 hours of maximum intensity with no more than a 2 hour ramp up and down.
Try adding half an hour a day to your photoperiod and reduce your ramp times by 15 minutes each until you get to 8 hours full intensity and 2 hour ramps.
Again, not an expert, but 4 hours seems really short. 8 to 12 is more common!

Thanks for your reply but it's definitely not that.
4 hours peak lighting is very normal

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are my settings starting at 9 am finishing 10 pm. The peak time is only one hour.

Any recommendations on this settings?
3dbf7304ad3fe35764955d25078d418e.jpg

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you have to do is contact AI, had the same issue, mailed me 2 brand new fans that took 10 min to put in.

I had a fan fail on an original AI prime well after what I figured was the warranty period and they sent out a replacement no charge that took just a few mins for me to replace as well. Very impressed with their customer service and it has worked perfect ever since.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given this video and the upcoming release of the aquatic life hybrid bracket I am planning on running a few of these + the 4 T5 bulbs on a large Mixed/LPS/Softie Tank with that bracket. I am very excited to try that and just am waiting for the brackets to ship.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you use mate ?

Is that mostly blue light channels you run for 8 hours ?

How much and how long do you run whites and other colours ?
100% blue and UV and 75% white using SB Reef LED. This is over my SPS tank. No ramp up/down, just on and off 8 hours each day. SPS grow like crazy. Switching over to Kessils as well actually, and will run the same kind of schedule.

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% blue and UV and 75% white using SB Reef LED. This is over my SPS tank. No ramp up/down, just on and off 8 hours each day. SPS grow like crazy. Switching over to Kessils as well actually, and will run the same kind of schedule.

Yeah not sure my zoas and LPS would like that much intesity for that long tho.

Would you agree then that upping my violet and uv to 100% gradually and increasing the blue cycles peak time gradually from 4 hours to 8 hours would be a good start ?
Would you also increase other colours peak time ?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not sure my zoas and LPS would like that much intesity for that long tho.

Would you agree then that upping my violet and uv to 100% gradually and increasing the blue cycles peak time gradually from 4 hours to 8 hours would be a good start ?
Would you also increase other colours peak time ?
If your zoas stretch out their stalks and/or form an umbrella shape (skirts towards the bottom) then I'd say they need more light.

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your zoas stretch out their stalks and/or form an umbrella shape (skirts towards the bottom) then I'd say they need more light.

Some open fully but yeah I do have a small colony that have elongated stalks.
So what would you do gradually increase peak time of which colours ?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 AI Prime (original) on a 93 cube but it's FOWLR. I have 1 Xenia for nutrient reduction positioned towards the top of the tank.

My brother, who is huge into selling sps coral colonies and frags uses 4 AI Primes on his SR-120 tank. He tried Kessils, but went back to the AI's.

I also have a total of 4 of the originals for my 180 but don't think I'm going to use them. So once I get this tank up and running, I'll have 4 to sell with the boxes.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys!

Great discussion here. Thought I would share our settings for the AI Primes to mimic the AB+ EcoTech spectrum as closely as possible. :)

IMG_0812.PNG
Thanks a lot. Any negative effects of running the UV channel so high? I run mine at 30% and violet and blues at 85. Red and green are 5% and whites at 25%.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back