Canadian - Looking for RO/DI system

Kevin Rampelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I live in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and im finding it increasingly more different to source parts. My LFS options are limited and even sourcing online varies heavily in price. Things like converting from USD to CAN dollars and shipping prevents me from buying from vendors like BuklReefSupply.

eBay doesnt really help either as for some reason the cost for items + shipping is more than just buying it from the USA.

Im looking for a 50-90 GPD RO/DI system withough breaking the bank. Im wondering if there are any other reefers in Canada / Ontario that have a good source for marine equipment?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Canadian friend of mine was just going through a similar issue and he ended up with the RO Buddie from Amazon. His usage needs are about what you stated, and it wasnt an arm and a leg to purchase or resupply. If you have chloramines in your water as treatment, you might need to look at something else though - as I think the KDP blocks for this unit are on back order.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Spectrapure RO/DI from reefsupplies.ca Ray is great to work with and there prices are FAR better than any LFS around me anyway. Shipping is cheap too which is huge. BTW your demand may only require 50-90 GPD but I highly recommend going with a much more powerful unit. mostly to cut down on waste water for every 1 gallon of RODI you waste 3 gallons so it all adds up over time when you have a smaller unit.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Rampelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Spectrapure RO/DI from reefsupplies.ca Ray is great to work with and there prices are FAR better than any LFS around me anyway. Shipping is cheap too which is huge. BTW your demand may only require 50-90 GPD but I highly recommend going with a much more powerful unit. mostly to cut down on waste water for every 1 gallon of RODI you waste 3 gallons so it all adds up over time when you have a smaller unit.

Ya reefsupplies.ca is alright. Ive purchased a couple items from them. Not great for everything though. I was thinking about the Spectrapure MPDI 90GPD

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same system, it's an awesome system but I will be adding a second RO filter to double my production

OP
OP
K

Kevin Rampelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which unit would you recommend then from reefsupplies.ca? I was thinking of buying the Spectrapure MPDI 90 GPD

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an AquaFX Barracuda 100 from J&L and have been happy with it. Most RODI units are very similar, it pretty much boils down to the filters/membrane used and number of stages.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MPDI 90 is one I'm happy with. I purchased 2 in line TDS meters to keep an eye on when I need to replace filters. And I will be adding a second RO filter at some point (Not available from reefsupplies), asI said previously strictly to cut down on the waste water. The only other suggestion I could make is a 5 stage to run two DI resin cartridges instead of one. Not required but I've read that running two DI filters let's you completely exhaust one filter without compromising the quality of the water.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 148 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back