Canadians dosing nitrate or phosphate.

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Just wondering fellow Canadians...
What product do you use to to dose phosphate and nitrate and where do you purchase.
Was suggested by the man himself Randy that I should be dosing these but as a newb I am having trouble finding what to use .
Thanks!
Paul.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canadian Tire or Tim Hortons? Haha. It's ok I am a dual citizen I am allowed to make that joke. I'm not sure what my brethren up north use for that though.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this and works very well and great price. You most likely can order it.

46C7E976-2256-4639-B840-F66F27DD201A.png

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canadian Tire or Tim Hortons? Haha. It's ok I am a dual citizen I am allowed to make that joke. I'm not sure what my brethren up north use for that though.
Haha it's ok I love jokes!! Keep em coming!!
But I would also like an educated answer from someone bahaha

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trisodium phosphate won't increase nitrates. Don't quote me, but I think Randy prefers Sodium nitrate over Potassium nitrate for nitrate dosing, sodium is already so abundant in seawater that its harder to unbalance that ion.

Sodium nitrate shouldn't be hard to get in Canada. It is used in fertilizer and some... other things that you may or may not know fertilizer is sometimes used for.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trisodium phosphate won't increase nitrates. Don't quote me, but I think Randy prefers Sodium nitrate over Potassium nitrate for nitrate dosing, sodium is already so abundant in seawater that its harder to unbalance that ion.

Sodium nitrate shouldn't be hard to get in Canada. It is used in fertilizer and some... other things that you may or may not know fertilizer is sometimes used for.
Yes he did tell me sodium nitrate I was just wondering what brand and stuff .... He had mentioned some brands but I cannot find them on our amazon.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he did tell me sodium nitrate I was just wondering what brand and stuff .... He had mentioned some brands but I cannot find them on our amazon.
Maybe you could post some of the ones you found available to you, and someone might be able to chime in? I imagine that the grade or purity level is the main concern here though.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy has replied about one of the tsp products before. Other reefers seemed to have tried it.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium and potassium nitrate are restricted goods up here, though you can still purchase them provided your information is recorded at time of sale. IIRC you are limited to the amount purchased, must declare it's use, and have a copy of your driver's license or government issued ID taken, since they can be used in the manufacture of explosives and they want to trace where all sales go.

Look to a freshwater planted tank vendor, they will know what's at play. I'm un-aware of what commercially available additives are actually sold up here, most aren't available.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium and potassium nitrate are restricted goods up here, though you can still purchase them provided your information is recorded at time of sale. IIRC you are limited to the amount purchased, must declare it's use, and have a copy of your driver's license or government issued ID taken, since they can be used in the manufacture of explosives and they want to trace where all sales go.

Look to a freshwater planted tank vendor, they will know what's at play. I'm un-aware of what commercially available additives are actually sold up here, most aren't available.
Thanks no wonder I am having trouble...

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use this, you might be able to find out through a google search of "Seachem flourish phosphorous reef dosing"
Food grade may be better though.
Thanks. I usually over research everything but I'm scared of getting Dino's now and don't know how much time I have...was looking for a quick answer but I guess I am the exception. Most people are trying to lower these not raise them...

Back