Canary Blenny feeding?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Does anyone have a Canary Blenny, and has/had issues with it eating?

I brought home a Canary Blenny from my LFS about 6 days ago. He's 1 of 3 fish in my 38 gallon breeder tank, the other 2 are a Fire Fish and PJ Card.
It's very active swimming around, looks happy and healthy, and a great addition! But I can't get it to eat, or at least have never seen it eat when I feed.

I've been feeding once a day, but just enough food for the 3 fish, being careful not to overfeed. I've tried mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, finely chopped up krill, even a mix of San Francisco Bay multi frozen pack with "marine cuisine" and "emerald entrée". I also tried a couple of drops of garlic in the food when thawing out. My other two fish eat fine, but this guy looks around like he smells the food, wants to eat, but never goes after any. My other 2 fish don't get greedy with hogging any food either.

Any suggestions on what I can feed it, or am I just over worrying?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The diet of the Canary Blenny should consist of finely chopped crustacean flesh, mysis shrimp... spirulina brine shrimp and frozen herbivore foods such as LRS fish frenzy and small plankton

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mysis and brine you are offering would be great a great staple. They are plankton eaters. Pouring that mixture into a powerhead may help. It also may just need more time.

Another thing to try would be live brine, if your fish store has some. I've never seen a healthy fish refuse that.

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
The mysis and brine go untouched, so I'll try the Fish Frenzy and Can O' Cyclops...I'll run over to LFS to pick up today! I'm sure my Firefish and PJ will love it too

Manny D. Mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
The mysis and brine go untouched, so I'll try the Fish Frenzy and Can O' Cyclops...I'll run over to LFS to pick up today! I'm sure my Firefish and PJ will love it too
Good luck! At least your other fish will eat it if the blenny doesn't!

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update I have a similar situation
Unfortunately, I lost the fish shortly after my last post. It was active and swimming but I never saw it eat any food I tried to feed, and the Can O' Cyclops arrived too late. I assume it starved, as I found it wedged between the rock work one morning.

I hope you have more luck than I do!! It was a beautiful fish.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I see him sometime try flakes or mysis but then spit it out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back