Candy cane coral looking unhealthy/strange behavior

Queeery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a piece of candy cane coral for the past month or so, and over the past few weeks I've noticed that it shrivels up at night or whevever the lights are dim, like this:
1672616991388.png

When the lights are at full intensity it looks like this:
1672617022988.png

Over the past couple of days I've noticed the flesh receding up the coral, leaving more and more of the skeleton exposed:
1672617167605.png

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

So far as I know, I only have this, a far away frag of blasto, a few hermits, and a couple of snails.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a piece of candy cane coral for the past month or so, and over the past few weeks I've noticed that it shrivels up at night or whevever the lights are dim, like this:
1672616991388.png

When the lights are at full intensity it looks like this:
1672617022988.png

Over the past couple of days I've noticed the flesh receding up the coral, leaving more and more of the skeleton exposed:
1672617167605.png

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

So far as I know, I only have this, a far away frag of blasto, a few hermits, and a couple of snails.

How often and what are you feeding your candy cane?

I'm lazy and during the day I'll sprinkle tiny pellets like EasyLPS with the flow off so it doesn't blow off. Fortunately the fish don't try to steal those. I've also held down ChromoBoost TDO pellets which fish DO like and when those or other foods lay on mine for a bit, then it will put out its feelers and take it in. Ideally it should be fed couple times a week.

Most likely recommend mixing a powdered food like Reef Roids into think paste and applying, and mine likes that, but that is more work and so much drifts off.

People also say feed at night, but I'm asleep so mine has learned to eat when I feed it LOL

OP
OP
Q

Queeery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm lazy and during the day I'll sprinkle tiny pellets like EasyLPS with the flow off so it doesn't blow off. Fortunately the fish don't try to steal those. I've also held down ChromoBoost TDO pellets which fish DO like and when those or other foods lay on mine for a bit, then it will put out its feelers and take it in. Ideally it should be fed couple times a week.

Most likely recommend mixing a powdered food like Reef Roids into think paste and applying, and mine likes that, but that is more work and so much drifts off.

People also say feed at night, but I'm asleep so mine has learned to eat when I feed it LOL
Sorry for the late reply. I used to feed mine once a week (since I've had it for such a short period of time that means I've only fed it like twice lol), but then I found some advice online that said there was no real need to feed them. After more research I did just now it seems that I should be feeding at least once or twice a week. Could this be the reason for tissue receding?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I used to feed mine once a week (since I've had it for such a short period of time that means I've only fed it like twice lol), but then I found some advice online that said there was no real need to feed them. After more research I did just now it seems that I should be feeding at least once or twice a week. Could this be the reason for tissue receding?

there is a lot of information out on the Internet - some good, some not good

here is my candycane, based on my above described feeding:
2023-01-01 candy cane and goni on far left side.JPG

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not fed mine in months, maybe years. This is not the cause of receeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back