Canister filter

  • Thread starter Thread starter Javen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Javen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2015
Messages
140
Reaction score
7
Location
jackson, AL.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I need some advice about filters. I have a good 5 stage canister filter with uv light. Is this ok for my 125 gal saltwater aquarium. I have activated carbon in it right now and filter pads . is this ok
 
i run a pretty nice one on my 20g reef. many people will tell you no no no and some have had minor success. id much rather have a sump now that ive dabbled with the canister but im making it work. its a pain to maintain for me and is always a mess when i open it. many suggest no bio media in them and i agree. you may find that you will also need gfo. my honest opinion is to wait and buy a sump. i am currently using seachems seagel and attribute some of my success to it. GL
 
you can look all over the internet and find people having healthy systems with many different methods. i dont think there is necessarily a wrong way. my main reasoning for wanting to switch comes mostly from a maintenance standpoint. i hate opening the canister, also a sump or refugium is a great way to hide equiptment such as heaters or probes.
 
I see. I have 9 fish and a bunch of other stuff like anemone and they are all active and full of energy so it works. But I think the sump might be better
 
Can you direct me to a way to build one or somewhere online to buy one. Do you know if you can put a refugium in the sump
 
That filter is fine to run, you just need to make sure you clean it once a week, so it doesn't become a Nitrate trap. I run a filter, but I use it to collect the bonded phosphates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new