Canister Filters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve seen people use two of those canister filters with the UV’s because they’re so cheap...
how does a sump look for a Fowlr tank?
A lot of standard media, heater, Uv sterilizer? That’s it?
Here is my fowler sump

1619743819257.png

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most significant issues that canister filters come with is that they can be tough to clean out, which is valid with most aquariums equipment. Canister filters will collect waste and residues in time, meaning that it will need to be periodically cleaned. For reef tanks, the importance of protein skimmers can’t be emphasized enough in conjunction with canister to reduce required frequent maintenance. Canister filters are better suited to small saltwater aquariums because of their limited filter media capacity. Regular cleaning to prevent the buildup of detritus, leading to high nitrates and phosphates will allow you to have a thriving reef tank.
The more stages the unit has, the more effective it will meet biological, mechanical and chemical filtration requirements. Utilize filtration that's rated for at least 4x your tank size, using a large single or multiple canister filters. Lots of biomedia and include carbon. It's all about routine maintenance once the system gets a few months under its belt.
Despite the best efforts of companies like Fluval, the canister filter is quickly becoming a thing of the past, at least in the reef aquarium realm. With protein skimmers dominating the market, canister filters are no longer vital to have on a reef aquarium, though there are still some benefits to their use. The filter’s operation is simple. Bottom line is : You can learn how to clean a canister filter to use it for your aquarium, but it involves breaking down the components, cleaning individual parts before putting them back together again. To prevent algae growth and nitrate problems in saltwater, you’ll need to clean it often.
What skimmer do you suggest?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back