Canister vs sump

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is empty you should drill it and sump it. Just makes it easier to maintain long term. If it’s a tank you plan to run for 6 month to a year sure go ahead and use a cainister. It’s clunky but it will work. And really why use anything at all, just throw a skimmer on a makeshift plastic box and put a power head and heater in the tank and you are good to go.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fl3xlinton - On my 55 I use a hob and Sun Sun Canister. I have alot of filter floss in it and I also cut a filter pad and put it in one of the trays. I have 2 bags of mixed gfo and carbon. I replace the contents of each bag one two weeks. I find that it keeps my parm more stable vs replacing the entire amount every month.

I completely clean it out every month. I change the filter floss and filter pad every week. I pressure wash the pads when I have a pile and put them back into rotation.

It works well. People talk about them becoming nitrate factories, but my routine, I dont have any issues.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I’m leaning towards sump lol but my old lady wants it to be quiet and I heard that overflows can be loud

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 tanks both run on canisters due to other animals in the house that would tear a sump apart and have a hay day in the water hah

If I could have a sump I would!!!

I took everything out of them and filled with bio media. Added a protien skimmer on one side and a fuge on the other. Some say the protien skimmer defeats the purpose but I use the fuge as a pod house just filled with cheato and there are tons of pods ;)

It's a simple setup but I'm happy with it.

I do rinse the canisters every week with RODI water.

Everything is going to be louder than she wants lol nothing is perfectly quiet but you can get close. The loudest thing on my system is the protien skimmer.

Good luck with which ever way you go!!

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be pretty quiet you just have to tune it a bit so it helps to get a ball valve, or use a straw.
Like one or the hob ones has a filter floss thing in it but it’s still got the front where all the water actually falls into honestly I think it’ll be okay I’m just trying to make sure I do it right the first time since I’m already making a diy sump lol

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks both run on canisters due to other animals in the house that would tear a sump apart and have a hay day in the water hah

If I could have a sump I would!!!

I took everything out of them and filled with bio media. Added a protien skimmer on one side and a fuge on the other. Some say the protien skimmer defeats the purpose but I use the fuge as a pod house just filled with cheato and there are tons of pods ;)

It's a simple setup but I'm happy with it.

I do rinse the canisters every week with RODI water.

Everything is going to be louder than she wants lol nothing is perfectly quiet but you can get close. The loudest thing on my system is the protien skimmer.

Good luck with which ever way you go!!
I’m just trying to make everyone happy. And I got plenty of time to make It happen because I still got to fill my current tank up with frags! Haha

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the concept of filtration is all wrong and misconceptions run rampant. Don’t think of it as filtering think of it as you nutrient export plan it will make more sense then.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly the concept of filtration is all wrong and misconceptions run rampant. Don’t think of it as filtering think of it as you nutrient export plan it will make more sense then.
This is what I was trying to do by filling mine with all bio media. I wanted the tank to build it's own natural export. I'm limited by what I can do in my particular situation but didnt want mine filled with carbons and other chems to remove anything until I actually need it....such as if I have a nem get chewed in a powerhead. Then I drop a pouch of chemipure or your favorite and let it do its job and then remove it. I dont want to rely on chem filtration to stabilize my tank. I want to get as close to naturally stable as I can given what I'm using.

Each situation is different but you get the idea.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my 50 gallon corner tank with an OASE 350 Thermo canister filter, and a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. This being a pentagon tank on a custom wood stand that doesn't have the room for a sump, I had no other choice. The stand was built by my deceased father back when it was all freshwater and it was custom fit for this tank. For sentimental reasons, I kept it together.

Anyway, I installed a Modular Marine overflow box on the back of the tank. I drilled an extra hole in the bottom of overflow box (it came in the Bean Animal configuration), two of the opening are for output of the canister filter and the other is for a Reef Octopus Algae reactor. Both have separate inputs. I initially planned to installed this with an inside the tank weir but after thinking about the potential to running the pumps dry by dropping water levels, I just kept the exterior portion. The inputs and outputs are piped with 3/4" PVC using Spears gate valves to 5/8 " tubing to the filter and reactor and 5/8" tubing to 1/2" PVC to Loc Line nozzles from the reactor and canister filter outputs. The canister sits concealed under the stand and the Reactor is in a wood cabinet (actually a wood trash can from Wayfair). The canister is dead quiet.

The benefit of the Oase unit, is that it has a prefilter which can be easily cleaned and a built in heater. I just use foam on the prefilter and the chambers of the canister filter are filled with Bio Home Ulimate and Chemi-pure blue. I'm pleased with this setup. Yes, I would have preferred a sump but I plumbed it the way I did so in the event I run a custom sump in a different location, I can do it without breaking down the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my 50 gallon corner tank with an OASE 350 Thermo canister filter, and a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5. This being a pentagon tank on a custom wood stand that doesn't have the room for a sump, I had no other choice. The stand was built by my deceased father back when it was all freshwater and it was custom fit for this tank. For sentimental reasons, I kept it together.

Anyway, I installed a Modular Marine overflow box on the back of the tank. I drilled an extra hole in the bottom of overflow box (it came in the Bean Animal configuration), two of the opening are for output of the canister filter and the other is for a Reef Octopus Algae reactor. Both have separate inputs. I initially planned to installed this with an inside the tank weir but after thinking about the potential to running the pumps dry by dropping water levels, I just kept the exterior portion. The inputs and outputs are piped with 3/4" PVC using Spears gate valves to 5/8 " tubing to the filter and reactor and 5/8" tubing to 1/2" PVC to Loc Line nozzles from the reactor and canister filter outputs. The canister sits concealed under the stand and the Reactor is in a wood cabinet (actually a wood trash can from Wayfair). The canister is dead quiet.

The benefit of the Oase unit, is that it has a prefiltter which can be easily cleaned and a built in heater. I just use foam on the prefilter and the chambers of the canister filter are filled with Bio Home Ulimate and Chemi-pure blue. I'm pleased with this setup. Yes, I would have prefered a sump but .I plumbed it the way I did so in the event I run a custom sump in a different location, I can do it without breaking down the tank.
That’s a wild setup

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back