Cannister filter with copepods

Littlewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading my little 29 gallon tank to a 75 gallon I had. Unfortunately the stand I have makes having a sump impossible because of stupid support beams everywhere so you can only drop one in from the top and then couldn't get it back out if there was a problem. I plan to upgrade to a 100+ gallon innovative marine or similar system in a couple years so for now, I am just going to work with what I have. I am going to run with a Fluval 407 canister that I already had and I am adding a large HOB refugium. I planned to start a copepod colony in the refugium with some macroalgae. My question is, will the canister filter interfere with the copepods? Right now it has the standard filter media in it; filter floss, bio sponges, carbon bags, and ceramic bio-rings.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading my little 29 gallon tank to a 75 gallon I had. Unfortunately the stand I have makes having a sump impossible because of stupid support beams everywhere so you can only drop one in from the top and then couldn't get it back out if there was a problem. I plan to upgrade to a 100+ gallon innovative marine or similar system in a couple years so for now, I am just going to work with what I have. I am going to run with a Fluval 407 canister that I already had and I am adding a large HOB refugium. I planned to start a copepod colony in the refugium with some macroalgae. My question is, will the canister filter interfere with the copepods? Right now it has the standard filter media in it; filter floss, bio sponges, carbon bags, and ceramic bio-rings.
Negligible impact if anything at all . Most consumer grade copepods are going to be in your rock work and substrate not in the water colum

Upvote 0

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with canisters (freshwater), they make good collectors for juvenile crawfish. I don't see how copepods would have much of an issue if baby crawfish seemingly thrive in them.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back