lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering getting a new camera.
I’ve narrowed it down : Canon 6D vs the Nikon D7200
I know the lense is more important then the body but

I’ve never had a Nikon. Always had canon point and shoot cameras. My brother in law has the canon 6D (which is why I’m considering it) and is a semi pro photographer so if I ever have any questions on the camera he will be able to help.
I’ve just been super impressed with some of the pictures I’ve seen with the Nikon D7200
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D600, I’m very happy with it. I’d recommend the Nikon, though really, it’s 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Nikon person, but only because I got a deal on a Nikon entry level camera. There are perks for both brands, but really its all the same. I will say that Canon lenses tend to be cheaper than the equivalent Nikon, but you can't use 30 yr old Canon lenses on DSLR Canon bodies. You can still get many Nikon full manual AI lenses and use them on the new DSLRs. Beware the Nikon DX lenses. They tend to be cheaply made and use plastic mounting rings. There are very few good Nikon DX lenses. If you can, always purchase FX lenses. Not sure if the same applies to Canon.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That question is ageless; Nikon vs Cannon? Often, people buy a body early on and start accumulating lenses and you just stick with the brand. I would say both are excellent choices. If your brother in law is willing to let you try out his lenses, then I would go with cannon. Otherwise it’s really up to you. The only reason I would fav one brand over another is if there is one specific lens that is made by one company but not the other; for shooting our tanks, the lens selection is pretty much identical.

Ps. I have a Nikon d7200 and it is good. But I’ve been shooting Nikon for three decades now. They always make decent bodies. For me, it is all about the glass! I would invest in good lenses. I have lenses that are 15 years old that I still use today; I’ve replaced camera bodies at least 4 times over the same period.

Last edited:

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a d7200 and love it. Never shot cannon though so i can't help much there. Like was said if you know someone who has a cannon and is willing to let you borrow lenses to check out I'd go that route

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also decided to put the canon 70D into the mix because I hear they take great videos.

Wow guys thanks for all the help. Lots of info.

Yeah I’m def going to pay close attention to the Lenses when purchasing them.

Seems like you Nikon lovers are dedicated with years and years of the same company.

I think I’m going to ask around on my local forums to see if people have the cameras I’m interested in and do maybe a comparison and get a chance to hold them and snap a couple pictures with each.

Thanks for all the input.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nikon D7000, which is the older model of the D7200. I love it. I would say any of the cameras on the list are great cameras with a lot of great lens options available. Be patient and get one when there is a great deal.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also decided to put the canon 70D into the mix because I hear they take great videos.

Wow guys thanks for all the help. Lots of info.

Yeah I’m def going to pay close attention to the Lenses when purchasing them.

Seems like you Nikon lovers are dedicated with years and years of the same company.

I think I’m going to ask around on my local forums to see if people have the cameras I’m interested in and do maybe a comparison and get a chance to hold them and snap a couple pictures with each.

Thanks for all the input.

The brand choice would be based on you. However, I tend to think Nikons are more beginner friendly compared to Canon. As for Canon, if you are choosing the 70D, you might as well opt for the 80D instead.
On another note, I went from Nikon to Canon to Sony. I prefer my Sony A7RII to any other cameras I have had in the past.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy nikon D5300 owner. I think both are good, with canon, you'll get nicer image in much less price point (considering lens and other accessories), with nikon you have to pay lot higher to get the same caliber gears. Nikon will give you a little better quality , though. There was a time when Nikon used to use their and own sensors, and had a bigger difference, now they are on Sony sensors, and the distinctions are really small.
So, unless you are looking at extra finer details, and dont mind spending much more , then go for nikon. Else stick to canon

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeems like a lot more Nikon owners here and in the canon vs Nikon is seemed more canon.
It’s actually because a few of you guys that I narrowed down to these. Seeing the pictures that you all take.
I guess I can’t really go wrong with any of the cameras like you all have been saying it’s about the lenses and obviously the person behind the camera taking the pictures. I know the 70D and I’ll look into the 80d take great videos. I know I’ve see a bunch of pictures and videos from @Marquiseo and his 70D. Actually you and @Broadfield are the reason I considered this one.
How do the 6D and the 7200 do with taking reef videos?

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nikon D7000, which is the older model of the D7200. I love it. I would say any of the cameras on the list are great cameras with a lot of great lens options available. Be patient and get one when there is a great deal.

Where do you suggest getting it from. All photographers that I have spoken with say B&H. Do you have a suggestion of where to purchase from and when these places might be having a sale?
Thanks

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you suggest getting it from. All photographers that I have spoken with say B&H. Do you have a suggestion of where to purchase from and when these places might be having a sale?
Thanks

I got my D7000 from Best Buy after the D7100 came out. It was a great deal because they were trying to unload what was left in stock. If I was looking now I would try to find a used camera from a reputable seller. I know B&H sells used cameras too. I was just suggesting that as a deciding factor if you can't decide which one you really want.

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to take a look at Bestbuy and B&H. Ill have to play around with them. I kinda narrowed it down to the Nikon and the Canon 80D.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back