Canopy vs. Overhead Light Fixture

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, I am at a cross roads on going to an overhead light (all in one - T5 / LEDs) or keeping my canopy. I recently upgraded my tank and after installing these T5 fixtures, the canopy seems very heavy - plus it is difficult to even get in the tank to aquascape due to the height. I am just thinking here to get one of these all in one T5/LED fixtures, but wanted to get thoughts around things to consider before shelling out more money :) a friend said that one concern would be the light bleeding into the room as my tank is in the family room. Another thing I will need to do is build a DIY cover... I feel that the benefits of the overhead lighting system outweigh the cons but wanted to get some more suggestions, etc. and if anyone had went from canopy to overhead and regret it it.

Thanks

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my floating canopy with Led and T5’s. I mounted it with a TV bracket so I can move it if necessary. I also purposely made the canopy wider to reduce the light bleed in the family room image.jpg image.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light spill can be a thing especially if people are seated nearby. I actually tilt my fixtures slightly toward the back of the tank and that seems to solve the problem for me. Did it with a 5' eight bulb T5 fixture and also with my rack mounted 3 X ATI Straton LED setup. Easy peasy fix.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For larger toller tanks that never get viewed top down, I'm a huge fan of the rimmed tank with a canopy.
If you're comfortable with a little diy, this might be overkill, there are other ways to accomplish the same task.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my floating canopy with Led and T5’s. I mounted it with a TV bracket so I can move it if necessary. I also purposely made the canopy wider to reduce the light bleed in the family room image.jpg image.jpg
Looks great and thanks for sharing the pics. It does look like it has quite some weight to it! I ended up ordering the largest Aquatic Life T5 / LED hybrid fixture. If it ends up being too much light bleed then this is a great alternative to build around that fixture.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and thanks for sharing the pics. It does look like it has quite some weight to it! I ended up ordering the largest Aquatic Life T5 / LED hybrid fixture. If it ends up being too much light bleed then this is a great alternative to build around that fixture.
You will be very happy with that combo. If I did mine over I would have used very thin panels. The wood is very heavy and sags a bit in the front.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back