Can't catch flame angel

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so today I spent hours trying to catch this flame angel. I tryed the 2 litter I tryed nets with food I tryed my hand. Idk what else to do. So I was laying on couch thing I will just drain the water out it's only a 65 75 gallon tank. But before I did I wanted to put it out there and see if it's been done or if it would hurt corals or anything. I mean I don't think it would take long to drain and pump water back in. So if anyone thinks this is bad idea or any in put. Please let me know thanks

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not a bad idea at all. I’ve done it many times with tanks full of coral without any negative consequences. As you’ve already noted just pump the water back into the tank ASAP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi so today I spent hours trying to catch this flame angel. I tryed the 2 litter I tryed nets with food I tryed my hand. Idk what else to do. So I was laying on couch thing I will just drain the water out it's only a 65 75 gallon tank. But before I did I wanted to put it out there and see if it's been done or if it would hurt corals or anything. I mean I don't think it would take long to drain and pump water back in. So if anyone thinks this is bad idea or any in put. Please let me know thanks
Draining is a good possibility but I highly recommend fish trap. Bait it with something meaty. ALLOW angel to in and eat. Next feeding do it again but this time have string ready and release and trap it. These work easily and clean up easily.

trap3.jpg
trap2.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish sent me plans for a trap made out of standard polystyrene eggcrate light diffuser. It's put together with cable ties and has a trap door attached to a long piece of fishing line. Bait that sucker with a fresh cherrystone clam or other in-the-shell shellfish from your local supermarket and hold back. It took us like four days to catch our large flame angel so that we could trade him.

They will definitely harm LPS, especially open brain corals and the like.
IMG_20190817_162334[1].jpg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one of those too. If I understood you correctly you already tried the 2 liter bottle approach. If you’re going to try the for mentioned fish trap you must be patient. As you’re probably already aware fish are pretty dang smart!

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have looked in to fish traps but I am not trying spend money on something I more then likely use once. So I'll probably just drain. Thanks agin

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that why I think drain be the fastest way. He's nipping at corals and my frog spawn barley opening I had him for over a year and he was fine with everything. And I work 6 days a week so tomorrow is my really only day to watch tanks and that's another reason why I think draining it be best for me.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have looked in to fish traps but I am not trying spend money on something I more then likely use once. So I'll probably just drain. Thanks agin
If you go with the homemade design, make sure the monofilament lead is really long so that you can sit on the couch and pull the trigger when that angel thinks your back is turned! ;)

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, super simple! A clean aquarium only garbage can or two and a pump. That angel will be caught in a matter of minutes.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A super easy and least invasive way ( @Hemmdog :D) is to catch him at night after lights out. If he sleeps somewhere in the open, wait for after lights out, sneak up to the tank, fish net in hand and light in the other. Turn the light on right in his eye to stun hi. and swoop in with the net.

Tips/tricks. Obviously for it to work he needs to sleep out in the open. Needs to be enough ambient lighting in room for you to see him, but allow you to sneak up unnoticed. Need to have the top open above his area. Get in position with the net above the tank, take the light and turn it on right in his eyes. You will have about 5 seconds where he will not move to net him

Got a domino damsel out of my 180 first try.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A super easy and least invasive way ( @Hemmdog :D) is to catch him at night after lights out. If he sleeps somewhere in the open, wait for after lights out, sneak up to the tank, fish net in hand and light in the other. Turn the light on right in his eye to stun hi. and swoop in with the net.

Tips/tricks. Obviously for it to work he needs to sleep out in the open. Needs to be enough ambient lighting in room for you to see him, but allow you to sneak up unnoticed. Need to have the top open above his area. Get in position with the net above the tank, take the light and turn it on right in his eyes. You will have about 5 seconds where he will not move to net him

Got a domino damsel out of my 180 first try.
This is true as long as the flame angel does not retreat into the rocks each evening :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to drain a 65 gallon if a fish proved stubborn to get. It's affectionately known as the "low tide method," and you will find that as the water lowers around your rock work, you will be able to use various plastic items you have lying around-- even gallon jugs filled with water-- to cut off avenues of escape between rocks. By progressively giving your fish fewer and fewer escape routes, you won't have to drain all the way to the bottom. Best wishes.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just caught a flame angel in my tank. Use the 2 liter bottle trap you have, tie fishing line to the top of the trap above the opening and fill the trap with whatever type of food you use. Just leave the trap in there for hours until you notice that the flame is going in and out of it. Eventually you will be able to sit in front of the tank and watch him swim into the trap. When its in the trap pull on the string and yank it out of the tank. Worked for me.

Also, if he is an aggressive feeder you can catch it with hook and line.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain it down to a couple of inches and catch it easily. Corals without water wont hurt as long as it's not for long extended periods of time.
About 30 min or so wont hurt them. In fact they are out of water in low tides in oceans.
Make sure to match the parameters on new water if using freshly made saltwater or simply use the same water.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all I tryed the 2 liter today with no luck he just swim right around it ever time. I ever put 2 of them in there. I will deff try the light trick to night. But I think the easiest way will be the low tide. I think I will have him in less the 5 mins with no real effort or knocking my rock scape over witch is my main concern is. Thanks again

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update fish is out. And donated to LFS. The hole process drain water catch fish fill tank back up 25min lil longer then I like I lost him and he was hiding under a rock lol. But all corals and clam and fish all look good. Thanks to all for the imput

IMG_20190818_112620622.jpg IMG_20190818_112630333.jpg

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wait until lights out when they are in zombie mode to get difficult fish out so much easier at that point they are so out of it you can grad them with your hand if you quick enough

Back