Cant control phosphate.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my tank is the waterbox infinia 190.5 200G 150G water volume. 9 months old. LPS dominant tank. Corals doing amazing. Phosphate however is at 0.31 nitrate 17.8 i do water changes every 2-3 week: but even wster changes not helping me at 43% i have couple of tangs. And other fish.

Do i start a fuge control phosphate and notrare Algae is minimal in my tank. Can i put the chaetos where the live rock chamber is on top of the rocks? Or i have to remove them

IMG_3308.jpeg IMG_3307.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your phosphates aren't that high, especially for LPS (and ESPECIALLY for LPS that are "DOING AMAZING"!)

Don't tweek things just because someone else runs their nutrients lower than yours.

But in answer to your question, yes, you can start a fuge by putting algae in the rock chamber - my fuge has a bunch of rock in it.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow cheato above the rocks, no problem at all. Longer photo period, strength of light, and size of cheato determine effectiveness.

I mix GFO with carbon and throw it in a bag in my sump to help control phosphates. Change the bag more often for better effect.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your phosphates aren't that high, especially for LPS (and ESPECIALLY for LPS that are "DOING AMAZING"!)

Don't tweek things just because someone else runs their nutrients lower than yours.

But in answer to your question, yes, you can start a fuge by putting algae in the rock chamber - my fuge has a bunch of rock in it.
How fast would cheato bring my phosphate down? And would it be an issue for nitrate? Since im only at 17.6? And when do i light up the fuge what hours

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast would cheato bring my phosphate down? And would it be an issue for nitrate? Since im only at 17.6? And when do i light up the fuge what hours
Again, I would not be concerned with that phosphate level.
It will take a fuge a while to have a significant impact on nutrients and will depend on how quickly the algae grows; and yes, it can reduce nitrates as well as phosphates. But a fuge can be beneficial for other reasons, one of which is pH stability... When you light the fuge while the display is dark (and visa versa), some organisms will theoretically be photosynthesizing and respirating all the time.

Since I know you won't believe me that your phosphates are fine (THEY ARE), tell me what the trend has been. What were the levels a week ago? A month ago? Have you made any changes in food type or how much you feed? Again, if your corals are amazing, I would not suggest deliberately changing anything.

Last edited:

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you looking to drop your phosphate if your corals are doing "amazing"?

That said, the easiest way I have found to keep phosphate in check is with better filtration. Specifically, a filter roller and a good skimmer (which it looks like you already have). That will pull most of the pollution out of the water and keep your phosphates in check. You can also feed a bit less and use frozen instead of pellets and flakes. But as mentioned above, if your fish and corals are looking good and are healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned with what other people tell you are the ideal phosphate parameters. Your livestock will tell you if things are good or not.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are 1.5. If your corals are doing amazing, you are chasing an imaginary problem.

I’m trying to knock mine down because my nitrates are zero and my sps color is suffering, but if you only keep LPS and softies I wouldn’t worry about it one bit. I’m actually jealous of your nutrient levels.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read all the replies yet because I got really exited.
We have the EXACT same levels.

I wouldn't be concerned. LPS do stunngly amazing in my tank. Along with a stylo. Monti don't grow much.

Keep them where they are. You can do a refugium if you want. But just stabilize thoes levels.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My LPS do amazing between 0.05-.8 (yes, that’s right, not 0.08). My SPS were unhappy and started to brown at the higher levels so I brought my media reactor up and started treating the tank with GFO and got my phosphate down to between 0.1-0.25 and now everyone is doing amazing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers look perfect... probably part of why the corals look amazing ;)

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.3 is pretty high imo. A product like brightwell phosphat-r will do wonders for you.
Sorry, but I I strongly disagree with this suggestion on all fronts. 0.3 is not too high for LPS. And 2, Lanthanum Chloride (phosphate-r) should really be a last resort used for chasing old tank syndrome or an extremely saturated system that is not responding to more passive approaches such as GFO or aluminum based media such as phosguard. 0.3 ppm PO4 does not justify the risks associated with improper dosing, and there have been reported negative health effects to tangs especially, which you mentioned having.

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I I strongly disagree with this suggestion on all fronts. 0.3 is not too high for LPS. And 2, Lanthanum Chloride (phosphate-r) should really be a last resort used for chasing old tank syndrome or an extremely saturated system that is not responding to more passive approaches such as GFO or aluminum based media such as phosguard. 0.3 ppm PO4 does not justify the risks associated with improper dosing, and there have been reported negative health effects to tangs especially, which you mentioned having.
You don't even have your products right. Phosphat-r isn't lanthanum, it's a DI resin. I never said anything about tangs?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't even have your products right. Phosphat-r isn't lanthanum, it's a DI resin. I never said anything about tangs?
Ahh, I stand corrected. My apologies. The OP mentioned having tangs. I was referring to him and suggesting Lanthanum should be a last resort. But alas, it is irrelevant since you have pointed out my misunderstanding of phosphate-R.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondly, .3 is absolutely interfering with calcification. Do you even reef, bro?
Fine, you’re right and I don’t know jack. Yes, the phosphate will slow down growth, but in an LPS tank that apparently is looking great and healthy, it might not be worth chasing. In my 8+ years of reefing, BRO, I’ve been most successful by sticking to the old adage, “if its not broke don’t fix it”.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%

Back