Cant decide what LEDs to use with my halides.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a new 330g tank 84x30x30. I am going to use 3x400w halides with lumenbright reflectors. I plan to use some LED's to provide more even coverage and supplement the color. On my old 300g I did this with some DIY LED's so Im totally new to buying actual LED's with features.....

The plan is to use the LED's to provide LPS levels of light throughout the entire tank for a few hours in the AM and PM. Then use the halides for 6-8 hours a day for SPS level lighting, while using the LED's in blue mode to supplement the halides.

The closest I can find to my old setup would be using some reefbrite XHO stips. I would need two 6 foot actinics and two 6 foot 50/50's. This would be the easiest and cheapest to implement at about $1800.

My other option is an array of 8 small LED pucks placed around the halides. This would allow me to individually aim the LED's, and get better spectrum and color control.

I currently use illumagic blaze x lights with the halides on my frag tank so I was considering using the mini's or just jumping off the deep end and getting radion XR15's.

So option 1 : Reefbrite strips - $1800
Option 2 : Blaze x mini - $1840
Option 3 : Radion XR15 - $4000

Any advice?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go reefbrites they are one of the best as far as even coverage and spectrum blending is concerned and this sounds like what is most important to you.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a new 330g tank 84x30x30. I am going to use 3x400w halides with lumenbright reflectors. I plan to use some LED's to provide more even coverage and supplement the color. On my old 300g I did this with some DIY LED's so Im totally new to buying actual LED's with features.....

The plan is to use the LED's to provide LPS levels of light throughout the entire tank for a few hours in the AM and PM. Then use the halides for 6-8 hours a day for SPS level lighting, while using the LED's in blue mode to supplement the halides.

The closest I can find to my old setup would be using some reefbrite XHO stips. I would need two 6 foot actinics and two 6 foot 50/50's. This would be the easiest and cheapest to implement at about $1800.

My other option is an array of 8 small LED pucks placed around the halides. This would allow me to individually aim the LED's, and get better spectrum and color control.

I currently use illumagic blaze x lights with the halides on my frag tank so I was considering using the mini's or just jumping off the deep end and getting radion XR15's.

So option 1 : Reefbrite strips - $1800
Option 2 : Blaze x mini - $1840
Option 3 : Radion XR15 - $4000

Any advice?
Orphek bars or3

Love mine

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_172611_01.jpg
    IMG_20221107_172611_01.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20221106_164803518.jpg
    PXL_20221106_164803518.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 47

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much have what your planning: 2 400 watt MH’s and 2 Reefbrite XHO strips over a 36” tank. SPS growth has been great with acropora from top to bottom in a 26” deep tank. Reefbrite have been very reliable in a high heat environment with the MH’s.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either reef bright or the blaze mini

HARD PASS on the radions, they are nothing but problems

I think for what you’re describing tho the reef right will be the best

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing my space constraints I only have a 20"x76" space to work with and the halide reflectors are 20"x20" octagonal. I think my only choice is to mount the LED's under the halide reflectors. It looks like LED bars are my best bet.

Orphek bars or3

Love mine

Hmm, I had not considered the Orphek bars. That might be a better option. What exactly are you running in that pic? Are the bars controllable in any way?

Looks like I can get 8 36" ones for about $1440 so that would be the cheapest option as well.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing my space constraints I only have a 20"x76" space to work with and the halide reflectors are 20"x20" octagonal. I think my only choice is to mount the LED's under the halide reflectors. It looks like LED bars are my best bet.

Hmm, I had not considered the Orphek bars. That might be a better option. What exactly are you running in that pic? Are the bars controllable in any way?

Looks like I can get 8 36" ones for about $1440 so that would be the cheapest option as well.
I am running 2x blue plus and 2x sky blue my tank is 6 ft

If i could go back I would have choosen 4x skyblue. I am currently using a smart outlet and a power strip to control them on/off. There is not currently dimming available or on off controls available.

I had 1 go out on me and they sent a replacement no questions asked, after 4 months of use.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not T5s with the halides?

Honestly, color. My first light setup on my old 300g was 3x400w halides with 8x36" T5's. They simply didnt make the colors pop. Thats the only real thing missing from the halides is the intense color pop you get with LED actinic lighting. Oddly LED bars are now cheaper than the DIY kit I made WAAAY back then.

So it looks like the orphek bars do not have dimming which is the minimum level of control I need.

The reefbrites have a controller to do 0-10v dimming which is ultimately what I want so I can use the apex controls. But Id need two of the dual controllers and thats another $320.

So It looks like the reefbrites are the way to go for what I want, but now I need to figure out what colors versions to get and how Im going to mount them because I dont see much available to mount these.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a really good thread about this a few days ago, some good idea's in here (although your tank is much bigger)

I've decided to go with the Orphek OR3 to supplement my MH, but thats mainly based on limited availability in Canada

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All ATI Blue Plus bulbs would be my first choice.
Pics pls!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, color. My first light setup on my old 300g was 3x400w halides with 8x36" T5's. They simply didnt make the colors pop.

So it looks like the orphek bars do not have dimming which is the minimum level of control I need.

The reefbrites have a controller to do 0-10v dimming which is ultimately what I want so I can use the apex controls. But Id need two of the dual controllers and thats another $320.

So It looks like the reefbrites are the way to go
https://reefbreeders.com/shop/lumenbar-v2-48/

Full control comes with them..

Putting bars under the reflectors may be an issue.
You may want to consider short bars between the reflectors.
Bunches of 24" "sideways" bars.

Oops you said you only have 20" front/back.
Sort of gets you back to the reefbrites or these.
https://21ledusa.com/products/20-ultra-actinic-reefbar-pro-3w-bridgelux-leds ..

You should consider diy to meet your criteria though.
Even quality LEDs are cheaper than waaaay back then. :)

Sooo you really only have 76-60 x 20" "free space" not occupied by the reflectors?
So 4"x20" spaces?
4 3.5x 18" heat sinks costs $122

Throwing together 160 real watts of asst blues from Steve's $197
Seoul semi rb, luxeon blue, viosys hyper violets.

Add a bunch of meanwell ldd's @$7
each (. 12-15 diodes per ldd @ 48v) and a bluefish mini @ $100...
Hurricane or storm ect
Can
even get some boards at like $10 each to interface w Apex and the ldd's
10v analog to 5v pwm converters
Or the big ac/dc meanwell drivers
Costs between ac/dc drivers or switching power supply and meanwell ldd's is pretty equal.
Deciding factor is sort of if you have an apex.

$50 power supply if ldd's used

Pretty much done.
Really rough estimate.
50w each on those heatsinks may be a limit. Could add small computer fan to each for about$10

You have been there done that.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 Orphek 36" bars is rated at 320 watts

With fans you could probably push the density to match but in all honesty I'd bet the above diodes exceed Orpheks efficiency so w/w match may not be necessary.
I used 2w/diodes to get the 160w. Even a driver upgrade will boost your output.

Just a guess though.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going a bit nuts here with this.

My available clear space above the tank to put lights is only 20"x74". This is due to piping, canopy bits and other stuff above the tank. Since Im planning a light lift mechanism it all has to clear.

My current reflectors are 20" wide octagonal. So I was planning to run 4 strips under the halide reflectors. But that eats up 4"-6" on each side and basically cuts the reflectors useful area in half.

I then looked at just ditching these reflectors for the reefbrite halides, so I could fit the LED bars. But those reflectors are simple batwing style and have crap spread. And if I were to use those halides Id end up getting LED's that are not bars.

So I have rounded back to keeping my current reflectors and doing the array of radion xr15's or the Blaze x mini's or something similar that can kind of fit in the open "corner" space between the reflectors. Here is what I have mocked up. The small squares are 7"x7" (the size of the XR15, the Blaze x mini is smaller)
rPXg0CF.jpg

This layout only has a small corner of the LED's blocking the reflectors. I can mount the LED's on Loc line so I can aim them a little.

I was looking at a AI Prime 16, but I dont think it has enough power. I also checked out the kessil's which would fit the best, but I dont think they have enough spread since they are more cannon like. The kessils are also on par with the radions in cost.

So close yet so far.....

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the answer, even newer, even larger tank with 24" width. Im jk, but might as well throw in the reefi unos just to give you more options (and i guess make it more complicated lol).

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02: Kessils Have crazy good spread and won’t shade much. This is what I would use in your case if bars won’t work. And nice MH reflectors btw, where did you get those?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going a bit nuts here with this.

My available clear space above the tank to put lights is only 20"x74". This is due to piping, canopy bits and other stuff above the tank. Since Im planning a light lift mechanism it all has to clear.

My current reflectors are 20" wide octagonal. So I was planning to run 4 strips under the halide reflectors. But that eats up 4"-6" on each side and basically cuts the reflectors useful area in half.

I then looked at just ditching these reflectors for the reefbrite halides, so I could fit the LED bars. But those reflectors are simple batwing style and have crap spread. And if I were to use those halides Id end up getting LED's that are not bars.

So I have rounded back to keeping my current reflectors and doing the array of radion xr15's or the Blaze x mini's or something similar that can kind of fit in the open "corner" space between the reflectors. Here is what I have mocked up. The small squares are 7"x7" (the size of the XR15, the Blaze x mini is smaller)
rPXg0CF.jpg

This layout only has a small corner of the LED's blocking the reflectors. I can mount the LED's on Loc line so I can aim them a little.

I was looking at a AI Prime 16, but I dont think it has enough power. I also checked out the kessil's which would fit the best, but I dont think they have enough spread since they are more cannon like. The kessils are also on par with the radions in cost.

So close yet so far.....
AI Primes measure..
Dimensions - 4.88" x 4.88" x 1.34"
Power Consumption -
59W @ max output
Using "standard" lights depending on the color you could "waste" a lot of watts.

Kessils seem a better fit but even at "0 color" I've never heard people gush about the "pop".
A-160's are 40w so using 8 is 320 watts
2.4" diameter

8 plus spectral controller $2100-ish

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been stocking up on reflectors as I find them for the past 5 years for this build.

The main plan for the LED's its to provide full even coverage of the 84x30 tank. Id like to provide LPS levels of light throughout the entire tank using only the LEDs.

Then when the halides are on, the LED's would be used for blue supplementation with the intent of keeping SPS in the top half of the tank and LPS everywhere else.

Would an array of 8 kessils mounted about 8" over the water have enough spread to cover the tank and penetrate the full 30" depth?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back