Cant figure out what this is.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched on here and Google and not really finding anything. Most of my results suggest vermetid snails. But I don't think that's it. It's almost looks like plant roots the way it grows. When you touch it, it just disentagrates. I've seen it in several areas in the tank, and usually in the morning and usually just disperses on its own.

Tonight I seen some on the glass and I brushed it away with a magnet cleaner. About an hour later it's grown again. Comes out of the sanded and it grew about 8-9 inches in the hour I was away and kind of branches put like a blood vesel or plant roots. Here's the best pics I could get. First one with circles shows where it starts and ends. And then close ups of those areas.

20240123_194559.jpg 20240123_195606.jpg 20240123_195639.jpg

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh I had this exact thing show up in an old 40 gallon tank. We came to the conclusion it was some sort of slime mold. Let me see if I can go dig up a photo from the thread. Brb

OP
OP
coralnutz

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked with readers and magnifying glass and it's like lots of tiny worms together. You can swipe through with a magnet cleaner and watch ast it reconstructs itself. Pretty wild.

Some other threads where saying this.
Labyrinthula

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just like that. Now the lights are off and it's going all the way up the corner of the tank now.
Cool! Yeah I’m not sure what the consensus is here but my pic if from like 2015 and after speaking to a few respected individuals on another forum we concluded it’s essentially a group of colonial organisms that’s actually a slime mold. The Labyrinthula name you mentioned kinda rings a bell.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas , it's back!

(And I can't remember the name)
I looked with readers and magnifying glass and it's like lots of tiny worms together. You can swipe through with a magnet cleaner and watch ast it reconstructs itself. Pretty wild.

Some other threads where saying this.
Labyrinthula
This one is one of the few ID's that bothers me every time it pops up. These things have very unique behavior that should make them pretty easy to find, but I haven't been able to yet.

All I can tell so far is that these worms are nocturnal, swarming polychaetes (bristleworms) - they don't seem to harm anything, and they typically go away on their own after a while.

The post linked below has some good info on and video of these, but not a solid ID:

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is one of the few ID's that bothers me every time it pops up. These things have very unique behavior that should make them pretty easy to find, but I haven't been able to yet.

All I can tell so far is that these worms are nocturnal, swarming polychaetes (bristleworms) - they don't seem to harm anything, and they typically go away on their own after a while.

The post linked below has some good info on and video of these, but not a solid ID:

Interesting. Crazy that we really don't have a solidified ID yet..I'm going to consult some old text books and see if there's anything I can dig up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back