Wha is this please?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got some macro algae plants awhile back, about 2 months ago. This was on a plant. I was not sure what it was, and at the time, it was about the size of a pencil eraser. Now, it has more than tripled in size, but still stuck to the plant. One end of was also stuck on the glas. I am of course now have reservations about it, so I took it out, and put in a container until I can hopefully ID IT. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the low quality photos but it is the best I can do.

IMG_6679.jpeg IMG_6680.jpeg IMG_6681.jpeg

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got some macro algae plants awhile back, about 2 months ago. This was on a plant. I was not sure what it was, and at the time, it was about the size of a pencil eraser. Now, it has more than tripled in size, but still stuck to the plant. One end of was also stuck on the glas. I am of course now have reservations about it, so I took it out, and put in a container until I can hopefully ID IT. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the low quality photos but it is the best I can do.

IMG_6679.jpeg IMG_6680.jpeg IMG_6681.jpeg
Ok, I took another picture when I got home from work. This really is the best I can get. It appears to be folded in half, and as I said earlier, half was stuck to the plant it came in on, and as it grew, the other half stuck to the glass, while still on the plant. I have removed it from my tank, and it is in a container along with the plant. If it is a sea slug as it appears, I will just pitch it. I have just never seen anything like this.

Attachments

• IMG_6683.jpeg
    IMG_6683.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 70

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I took another picture when I got home from work. This really is the best I can get. It appears to be folded in half, and as I said earlier, half was stuck to the plant it came in on, and as it grew, the other half stuck to the glass, while still on the plant. I have removed it from my tank, and it is in a container along with the plant. If it is a sea slug as it appears, I will just pitch it. I have just never seen anything like this.
Does it have any holes/openings in it? The pic is definitely too blurry to say for sure, but it might be tunicates.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up your phone a bit so you can have a focus picture. Then use edit to crop the picture to whatever frame/size you want.
The animal/item you want us to ID is way out of focus.
it is not an animal that can move so it must be sponges, tunicates, or a three heads polyp.
Does it change/move when you take it out of the water?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up your phone a bit so you can have a focus picture. Then use edit to crop the picture to whatever frame/size you want.
it is not an animal that can move so it must be sponges, tunicates, or a three heads polyp.
Okay I will try what you are suggesting to get a better picture, but no it does not move at all.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, okay I took pictures as you suggested.

Attachments

• IMG_6684.jpeg
    IMG_6684.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6685.jpeg
    IMG_6685.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 46

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like a mobile invert. Best guest is a sponge or tunicate. I would leave it alone. It does not look like it going to hurt anything. Perhaps a picture with it in the water, stable without any disturbance by you.
Glad you got a great picture of it. :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier to identify aquatic things when they are in the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back