Can't get anything to grow

tgionet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and use Red Sea Pro Multi Test kit for Mg and Ca and a Hannah Alk Checker. I use API kts for NH4, PO4 and NO3.

Lighting schedule is Kessils on at 7am off at 10pm. They ramp slowly to 30%/30% peaking at about 2pm. Actinics come on at 9am and off at 9pm, coral+/blue+ come on at 11am and off at 7pm.

Ditch the API kits. Get an ULR Phosphorous Hanna checker and one of the brand name marine nitrate kits. I use the Red Sea Pro. If you're running GFO pull it. Stop dosing 2 part. Do a series of 25% water changes every couple of days until things start improving. I'm positive you're causing alk and calcium to precipitate out. I'd pull the carbon too. Don't just shut off the reactor or you'll create a horrible sulfur pocket when all the life inside dies and decays.

My 57 only requires 1 tbsp of kalk in 5g to maintain levels.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API Po4 is a high-range test (although they don't tell you that). When I switched to a ultra-low range kit (Salifert) I discovered my Po4 was through the roof when I had been showing zero with the API. Recently got a Hanna Phosphorus (not Phosphate) Checker and now I'm secure in what my values are.

Anthony'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing you par? My guess is your lighting is dialed down way too much. Also it may be a coincidence but I was dosing no3 po4x and I couldn’t grow coralline either. I stopped dosing for a few months and the back of my tank was literally covered in it! Good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back