Cant get high nitrates down

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 20g reef has had high nitrates for some reason. My protein skimmer failed for about 5 days without me knowing and that caused a buildup of nitrates. My nitrates read about 40ppm
I've reduced feeding to help prevent more but I also have my skimmer back working again but it will not drop.
I have a diatom outbreak in low flow areas that wont clear up
I added a refugium a week ago (no effect but I assume it will take longer to actually have an effect)
I see no detritus build up anywhere because I did 3 water changes this week with ahsolutly no drop in nitrates
And finally I notice no stress on any of my corals, just diatoms.

Any ideas? Will the refugium help?(I have a baseball size chunk of chaeto) more water changes? Skimmer might lower it? (Even though skimmers only remove things before they break down) should I dose vodka/vinegar or anything?

20190816_193153.jpg

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to list livestock.
2 1 inch percula clowns
1 scooter blenny
2 emerald crabs
Half a million tiny baby nassarius snails (had one that bred)

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your normal water change schedule? I have a small tank also and do about 5 % per week. Seems to keep mine down. If that is not possible for you:

Have you considered Nopox?

Be warned, it's very powerful and causes alot of other effects.

My recommendation is just weekly water changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water change schedule? I have a small tank also and do about 5 % per week. Seems to keep mine down. If that is not possible for you:

Have you considered Nopox?

Be warned, it's very powerful and causes alot of other effects.

My recommendation is just weekly water changes.
5g water change weekly.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so you are doing a 25% water change every week, and still having a NO3 issue...

How many fish, and how much are you feeding?

I saw your stocking list... but want clarification.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through something like this could not figure out where my nitrates were coming from eventually figured out with was the r.o water I was buying from LFS for top offs and water changes tested 40 maybe start there?

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so you are doing a 25% water change every week, and still having a NO3 issue...

How many fish, and how much are you feeding?

I saw your stocking list... but want clarification.
3 fish and a pinch of flakes daily(freeze dried mysis and frozen food on the occasion) . 2 one inch clowns and a scooter blenny. Some times it's only 15% but still...

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through something like this could not figure out where my nitrates were coming from eventually figured out with was the r.o water I was buying from LFS for top offs and water changes tested 40 maybe start there?
I can test my ro for nitrates but its 0 tds

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple 25% water changes and no change in a 40ppm nitrate reading would seem to indicate a problem with the test.
Have you tested right before, and right after a water change?

Are you shaking the bejesus out of bottle 2 for the test? It's prone to crystallization which can screw up the testing, and once you use it a few times, you've spoilt the reagents since all the active stuff is out of balance with the water in the reagent bottle.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple 25% water changes and no change in a 40ppm nitrate reading would seem to indicate a problem with the test.
Have you tested right before, and right after a water change?

Are you shaking the bejesus out of bottle 2 for the test? It's prone to crystallization which can screw up the testing, and once you use it a few times, you've spoilt the reagents since all the active stuff is out of balance with the water in the reagent bottle.
Yeah I've tested right after a change... no change at all. I put the bottle 2 through the ringer. I shake it punch it throw it into a busy highway, used it for baseball practice and no change. So yeah it might be a bad test kit.. I've honestly only ever saw it 0 and 40 after a few months of owning it.. there is crystallization in the cap of 2
What brand should I do

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back