OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been acting up? Check their feet, sometimes they shrink or look upset when they reproduce by tearing its foot. If theres no brown blob stuff on or near the shroom, i wouldnt worry, just needs some time.
The greens for over a month. The hairy has been like this for the past week, maybe ten days. No brown blobs that I can detect.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with what you feel comfortable. If basketball size cut half. If you have a local club offer it up free or for future frag(not now)
Not quite that big yet, but will be soon. Good idea, probably a good icebreaker... time to meet the locals anyway.

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah. Maybe that's my issue. Not enough light for anyone.

How many layers of screen do you think I should I start with?

It depends on the intensity of the light you're starting from and going to.

Try like 3-4 layers and watch the shrooms. If they're recoverable, they'll react to the light. If the shrooms are more spread open, you're probably at a good level. If things seem shriveled, +1 layer until things open up. If they seem to be reaching up, -1 layer til it stops reaching.

The sps will take a while to color up, but if the edges don't get more white, you're good.

I'd normally suggest more layers, but hard to say what'll work for you.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the intensity of the light you're starting from and going to.

Try like 3-4 layers and watch the shrooms. If they're recoverable, they'll react to the light. If the shrooms are more spread open, you're probably at a good level. If things seem shriveled, +1 layer until things open up. If they seem to be reaching up, -1 layer til it stops reaching.

The sps will take a while to color up, but if the edges don't get more white, you're good.
Okay, I'll set that up tomorrow and report back.

Man, I have to say all of you guys kick a**. I had no idea I'd get this level of assistance... You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Finally, some advice I can use... Thank you. Rescued from utter defeat!

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to stop blabbing and let the real reefers step in.
I was actually off to bed when I saw this thread.
Just take your time. Follow thirds suggestion(very cool third new 1 for me)
Don't change multiple things at 1 time
Stop adding any extra junk (elements etc)
Trust in your WC to take care of needs for now.
If you want to do WC try doing 5gl a week which would help to some extent keep your params a bit more stable.
If you are going the SPS route/mixed
Get yourself the ulr last time I will say that :). You have phosphates obviously
Test your alk, cal, mag weekly before wc just to get baseline. See what your tank is doing
Don't add more corals until you have recovered these (just my opinion I know we all want to pack the heck out of them as fast as possible) :)

Good luck and will be following so hope for some update from you.

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I second everything Chris advised. ^

Take it easy and adjust one thing at a time. If the lights aren't it, at least you'll eliminate one possible cause of your problems.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to stop blabbing and let the real reefers step in.
I was actually off to bed when I saw this thread.
Just take your time. Follow thirds suggestion(very cool third new 1 for me)
Don't change multiple things at 1 time
Stop adding any extra junk (elements etc)
Trust in your WC to take care of needs for now.
If you want to do WC try doing 5gl a week which would help to some extent keep your params a bit more stable.
If you are going the SPS route/mixed
Get yourself the ulr last time I will say that :). You have phosphates obviously
Test your alk, cal, mag weekly before wc just to get baseline. See what your tank is doing
Don't add more corals until you have recovered these (just my opinion I know we all want to pack the heck out of them as fast as possible) :)

Good luck and will be following so hope for some update from you.
Thanks, Chris. Yes, for sure.. I will update. And I'll try to stop freaking out about this and take it one step at a time...

Gmtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding them? If so with what? Mine did the same thing and i switched to Coarl smootie and in a matter of a few days they perked right up and now i feed every 3 days and they are doing great. Slowed my water flow as well. I also have oster eggs that i feed my clam and carpet anenome that they also will take as well

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mattie H. whats the hopefully good word :)
Hey Chris, thanks for checking in. Mushrooms still look the same, no change, and my green hairy is now in the process of melting away. Lights are on more, with the layers of fiberglass screen to filter it, and the chalice at least is looking better... Its actually extending it's tentacles at night now, which it never did before.

Now that lights are on more often the algae is getting crazy. Still waiting for the Hanna tester to come in, but it has to be a phosphate issue. Nitrates are next to nothing. I'm going to order some GFO in anticipation.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

After slowly increasing the t5 tank light, I had an algae explosion. All kinds of algae everywhere, GHA wrapped around everything. The glass needs to be cleaned of red and green algae every two days. My rocks looks like balls of moss. I lowered the lights, they're down to three hours per day now. Still, my two colonies, a Birdsnest and a Hollywood Stunner, are decimated, almost completely bleached. My green hairy shroom melted away, as did his little brother. Fish and GSP are still fine. Oddly, the mushrooms I originally was posting about look slightly better.

I know adding the lights had something to do with the algae, but I don't know what the other ingredients are. I purchased the Hanna phosphate checker and my phosphates are super low, as are my nitrates. I'm sure that there are phosphates and nitrates in there, just caught up in the algae, so I purchased a big BRS dual reactor and added the appropriate amount of GFO, been running for about a month now with little or no effect. I also cranked the skimmer, replace the filter sock every few days, and I've done several small water changes. Nothing. Bought a sea hare to deal with the algae, he's kicking butt and taking numbers, but it's a fix, not a solution. I'll give him away once I get on top of this thing.

I'm depressed. I can't seem to get control of this situation. Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Before...

4d0565e7bca172f26663dc4692a7ba81.jpg

Shortly after original post...

bf494cf29c31a404c7089839350916fb.jpg

Four weeks after...

f5d85c65816146f8efeb4d7a161d5025.jpg

Now...

8ed55c30d31d3baf6d6db3e58bf6feed.jpg

(Thank goodness for the sea hare, but it's still bad in there... And look at my colonies! They're toast!!!)

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks... sorry to hear that the new lights caused an algae bloom.

If you have enough buckets, I'd suggest a really big water change or more consecutive water changes. You can suck the algae out while you scrub your glass and scape. This worked for me when I got a bloom when I went to LEDs.

Check your RODI water source too, the algae wouldn't be growing this quickly without a source of phosphates. This also happened to me...

Taking it week by week helps whenever stuff isn't going right for my tank. You can ride this out and go for corals when the tank is more stable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back