Can't get nitrate above .25

James MacFarlane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 14 month old 190 gallon sps dominant reef. I run a skimmer and have a healthy macro algae refugium. I run 2 AP700s. The tank has 7 fish. I feed daily. No carbon, no GFO.

In the last month, some of my sps, particularly my tri-color acros, have become pale. Polyp extension has become stunted. That said, they appear to be growing like crazy at their bases.

Parameters -

dKH (Hanna): 8
Ca (Hanna): 480
Mg (Nyos): 1350
NO3 (Nyos & Salifert): <1
PO4 (Hanna & Nyos): .01
SG (refractometer): 1.025

I figured the issue could be the low nutrients levels, so I began feeding more. Increased feeding has my PO4 around .08, and it will continue to climb if I feed more. However, no matter how much I feed, my nitrate doesn't move at all.

How can I increase my nutrients if......I can't increase my nutrients?

Separately, is it possible that the stunted PE and the pale coloring is related to the skeletal growth, and not a nutrient issue at all?

Thanks for taking your time read through this!

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following. I am interested in this to because i fail to be able to increase my nitrate levels in my ZOA tank. I cant get anything readable.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suspect that your macro algae is using it up. You could cut it back and reduce lights for it. 0.25ppm nitrates is probably fine though.

Edit: I’d be very very careful dosing any nitrates. Once the nasty algae sets in, it’s hard as heck to fix. You won’t even realize it until it’s too late.

A few weeks of over doing it will result in months of undoing it, all the while, your corals suffer from being smothered by the mess. If it were me, I’d look elsewhere or get an ICP test done to make sure that your test results are accurate.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 14 month old 190 gallon sps dominant reef. I run a skimmer and have a healthy macro algae refugium. I run 2 AP700s. The tank has 7 fish. I feed daily. No carbon, no GFO.

In the last month, some of my sps, particularly my tri-color acros, have become pale. Polyp extension has become stunted. That said, they appear to be growing like crazy at their bases.

Parameters -

dKH (Hanna): 8
Ca (Hanna): 480
Mg (Nyos): 1350
NO3 (Nyos & Salifert): <1
PO4 (Hanna & Nyos): .01
SG (refractometer): 1.025

I figured the issue could be the low nutrients levels, so I began feeding more. Increased feeding has my PO4 around .08, and it will continue to climb if I feed more. However, no matter how much I feed, my nitrate doesn't move at all.

How can I increase my nutrients if......I can't increase my nutrients?

Separately, is it possible that the stunted PE and the pale coloring is related to the skeletal growth, and not a nutrient issue at all?

Thanks for taking your time read through this!

How long are you running the photoperiod on your fuge?

.25 is too low, my corals get mad around this level. I’d try cutting photoperiod until you’re able to raise levels.

Dosing is fine but if you can raise levels naturally then that’s of course preferable.

OP
OP
James MacFarlane

James MacFarlane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you running the photoperiod on your fuge?

.25 is too low, my corals get mad around this level. I’d try cutting photoperiod until you’re able to raise levels.

Dosing is fine but if you can raise levels naturally then that’s of course preferable.

My photo period for my sump is 13 hours right now. How much do you suggest cutting it?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My photo period for my sump is 13 hours right now. How much do you suggest cutting it?

That’s a really long photoperiod.

I’d cut it to 7-8 hours, test a day later. And continue to revise until you find the sweet spot.

My tank is newer so I’m only running photoperiod for an hour every other day.

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really long photoperiod.

I’d cut it to 7-8 hours, test a day later. And continue to revise until you find the sweet spot.

My tank is newer so I’m only running photoperiod for an hour every other day.

This isn't making your Cheato start to receed with such a short photoperiod?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't making your Cheato start to receed with such a short photoperiod?

Nope but even if it did, would it matter?

The goal is to get nitrates to the level you want. If your Chaeto recedes then that’s ok as it’s apart of increasing your nitrate.

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but even if it did, would it matter?

The goal is to get nitrates to the level you want. If your Chaeto recedes then that’s ok as it’s apart of increasing your nitrate.

That is true, I haven't looked at it like that. I would just be worried about killing off the Chaeto and having to "start it over". But as long as your nitrates and phosphates are where you want them, I can see why it doesn't matter.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, I haven't looked at it like that. I would just be worried about killing off the Chaeto and having to "start it over". But as long as your nitrates and phosphates are where you want them, I can see why it doesn't matter.

Growing a big ball of Chaeto is sweet but growing your corals is cooler.

I’d love to grow out my Chaeto if I could but my corals suck nitrate like crazy, especially my 5” diameter wilsoni.

Your Chaeto works for you, not the other way around :)

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it’s possible to get a refugium system to have decent nitrate levels. I have the same problem and I think brs had that problem too when they did refugium testing. They never really reported nitrate numbers out because they were bouncing off zero back to zero so they had trouble measuring them.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it’s possible to get a refugium system to have decent nitrate levels. I have the same problem and I think brs had that problem too when they did refugium testing. They never really reported nitrate numbers out because they were bouncing off zero back to zero so they had trouble measuring them.

Mine never got too low, even with lots of organic carbon dosing (vinegar) and growing of macroalgae. :)

OP
OP
James MacFarlane

James MacFarlane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I really appriciate your responses. I'll try limiting my photo period.

Is it ok to have .1 PO4 but <1 NO3? It sounds like some of you run low nutrients and are fine?

Maybe this isn't even my issue?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I really appriciate your responses. I'll try limiting my photo period.

Is it ok to have .1 PO4 but <1 NO3? It sounds like some of you run low nutrients and are fine?

Maybe this isn't even my issue?

I'd be more comfortable with 1-5 ppm nitrate.

Victor Nguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting more fish and feeding more will help. I second feeding frozen food.

I dosed potassium nitrate (tree stump remover) and my sps didn't like it. Several sps bleached because of that and my tank is running into green hair algae problem. If you have to dose then you should try the food grade potassium nitrate. I'd recommend small dosages first.

1575931862487.png

OP
OP
James MacFarlane

James MacFarlane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting more fish and feeding more will help. I second feeding frozen food.

I dosed potassium nitrate (tree stump remover) and my sps didn't like it. Several sps bleached because of that and my tank is running into green hair algae problem. If you have to dose then you should try the food grade potassium nitrate. I'd recommend small dosages first.

1575931862487.png

Thanks! I have been feeding frozen, but I have not been rinsing as someone else suggested. I'll try that too.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%

Back